Setting up a new reef tank. Filter help

Saltybob95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of experience with freshwater but I'm ready to dive into saltwater. I recently bought a used marineland eclipse 30 gallon tank. I know I want to add a fluval canister filter for alot more filtration. Im going to use crushed coral for substrate and was wondering if i should hook the eclipse hood filter up to a undergravel filter to help with filtration. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater tanks don't need filtration the way a freshwater tank does. You actually don't really need any mechanical filtration, all it does is increase your nitrates if not kept clean. Not saying that people don't successfully run a canister, but you'd be better off with a HOB skimmer. The critters in the tank (clean up crew or CUC) will take care of detritus, left over food, algae etc. Crushed coral (as opposed to coral sand) is generally not a great substrate as it's too large for many burrowing creatures or sand sifters. Any particular reason you chose that? Detritus can also get trapped in it & go beyond the reach of your CUC, as it can't be sifted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Saltybob95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No particular reason I chooses crushed coral really still trying to decided what substrate to use. What do you think would be best? I would use a sump on my tank but it seems very complicated to set up especially the overflow and return set up.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use that filter you can, you don't need to put any crushed coral or rocks in it... just use it for carbon or put a bag of chemipure elite in there... But it's not necessary.. you can use it for filter floss too...

i personally wouldnt put anything in it except for carbon or filter floss. You just dont need it really... your tank will have enough live rock and sand in it that putting it in your filter wont really matter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back