Filtration

BuddyTheGreat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. I’m completely new to saltwater and haven’t had much experience with freshwater either. I have a month old tank that is doing extremely well. With a pair of clowns, bubble tip anemone, cardinal, snails, hermit crab ect… I purchased an aqua clear HOB filter about a week ago and it just completely stopped working this morning. No filter has been running on the tank for about 3 hours now and I’m at work for another 6 hours. By the time I get off and am able to get some type of filter running it’ll be off for around 11 hours. Will everything be okay? Also should I just replace the filter with the same one using the return policy or should I upgrade to something different. I just started reading on sumps but I don’t truly understand how to even set one of those up. What should I do!

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a flow pump in the tank? If not I’d invest in even a small one, face it upwards towards the surface and you won’t have to worry about equipment failures as much other than power outages, or the off chance of both equipment blowing.

But for saltwater, canister filters make life sooo much easier, and pairing a canister with flow pump will ensure your tank is always well oxygenated, but many use HOBs.

It’s hard to say how the tank will be after 11 hours, your clowns should be fine and if the cardinal is small I wouldnt worry immensely, however that is a while to not have replenished oxygen.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have flow, the surfaces of your rocks, glass, etc. have film algae and bacteria that can filter. HOB filter is fine - just get another one. You can move the filter pads over for them to be doing biological things again. Make sure that the surface gets agitated with the flow pump or even an airstone.

Cheap filters can be OK, but you found out why they are cheap. Having a backup on hand can be smart, safe and cost less than losing one fish or invert.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. I’m completely new to saltwater and haven’t had much experience with freshwater either. I have a month old tank that is doing extremely well. With a pair of clowns, bubble tip anemone, cardinal, snails, hermit crab ect… I purchased an aqua clear HOB filter about a week ago and it just completely stopped working this morning. No filter has been running on the tank for about 3 hours now and I’m at work for another 6 hours. By the time I get off and am able to get some type of filter running it’ll be off for around 11 hours. Will everything be okay? Also should I just replace the filter with the same one using the return policy or should I upgrade to something different. I just started reading on sumps but I don’t truly understand how to even set one of those up. What should I do!
You should buy a Tidal hang on the back filter... very reliable, in the mean time go to a local fish store tell them your situation and buy a new filter.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I’d just add a power head and ditch the filter. Maybe keep one around in case you need to run carbon in an emergency, but would not bother with it otherwise.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a flow pump in the tank? If not I’d invest in even a small one, face it upwards towards the surface and you won’t have to worry about equipment failures as much other than power outages, or the off chance of both equipment blowing.

But for saltwater, canister filters make life sooo much easier, and pairing a canister with flow pump will ensure your tank is always well oxygenated, but many use HOBs.

It’s hard to say how the tank will be after 11 hours, your clowns should be fine and if the cardinal is small I wouldnt worry immensely, however that is a while to not have replenished oxygen.
+one on canisters

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back