Using Canister filter

shahrukh1612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am setting up a 50 gallon FOWLR aquarium. Can I just use an oversized canister filter like Fluval FX2 for the same? I am thinking of skipping Protein skimmer as protein skimmer cost an arm here in India and very less option for FOB. I am regular in maintaining the filter in my other freshwater aquarium so it would not be much of work for me.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can, but in the case where you are not able to to a sump, a hang on back filter is a better option. They hold enough filter media, are cheaper, are easily accessibly/cleanable, and can aerate the water. All of the biomedia in canisters are not very useful in reef tanks, so, much of the space in them isn't very necessary.

OP
OP
S

shahrukh1612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can, but in the case where you are not able to to a sump, a hang on back filter is a better option. They hold enough filter media, are cheaper, are easily accessibly/cleanable, and can aerate the water. All of the biomedia in canisters are not very useful in reef tanks, so, much of the space in them isn't very necessary.
Oh is it? I was a bit skeptical about the amount of bio media as it holds just less than 500 gms of bio media. Will Fluval C4 be a good HOB option?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh is it? I was a bit skeptical about the amount of bio media as it holds just less than 500 gms of bio media. Will Fluval C4 be a good HOB option?

Yeah that fluval would be fine. Rock and sand in a reef tank acts as biomedia/biosponges, so all you really need is something to pull particulates out, hold carbon and/or other fitler media, and that's about it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
I am setting up a 50 gallon FOWLR aquarium. Can I just use an oversized canister filter like Fluval FX2 for the same? I am thinking of skipping Protein skimmer as protein skimmer cost an arm here in India and very less option for FOB. I am regular in maintaining the filter in my other freshwater aquarium so it would not be much of work for me.
I would suggest that an FX2 is not big enough - I would consider a 5. First it's more flow, second its better filtration. Especially if you are skipping a protein skimmer. Good luck with your tank. !! EDIT - I agree with the others that the rock etc in a reef tank is more important - my comment related more to the lack of a skimmer.

Last edited:

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm concerned it's a full on myth that canisters won't work in salt water.
Bacteria don't give a dang if they live in/on rocks or in bio media in a canister.

I even have my sump packed with Sera Siporax and Siporax Nitrat-Minus media. It has reduced nitrate levels considerably. To the point where I don't even have to do water changes in my fish only system. Nitrates never go above 10ppm.

The downside of canisters is that you have to clean them at least every week.
With a sump, you can just remove and replace filter floss with minimal effort.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as I'm concerned it's a full on myth that canisters won't work in salt water.
Bacteria don't give a dang if they live in/on rocks or in bio media in a canister.

I even have my sump packed with Sera Siporax and Siporax Nitrat-Minus media. It has reduced nitrate levels considerably. To the point where I don't even have to do water changes in my fish only system. Nitrates never go above 10ppm.

Agree! Not sure about the weekly cleaning part, but when you do need to it's more of a hassle. The other issue with certain canisters (check reviews) is leaking over time - which can be a hassle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
You will want to have an oversize unit to reduce your maintenance requirements with a canister unit as they have a small surface area and can quickly promote higher nitrates as the pads and media become soiled. Cleaning the unit more often helps. The issue with canister only is its a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will want to have an oversize unit to reduce your maintenance requirements with a canister unit as they have a small surface area and can quickly promote higher nitrates as the pads and media become soiled. Cleaning the unit more often helps. The issue with canister only is its a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
The fluval filters have biologic filtration as well - agree they can be a pain with regards to cleaning, etc.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluval filters have biologic filtration as well - agree they can be a pain with regards to cleaning, etc.
I feel like this is the common argument against canister filters:
Not they don't work,,, just the maintenance aspect.
*that's what steered me away when I was starting/researching, anyway

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 FX6's (filled with LR rubble, no sponges) on a 120G.....seems to work for me,
IMG_2277.JPG

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
If you are budgeted for a FX2, save some more and just get the FX6.....its a beast, and the larger internal space inside will serve you better....

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you made sure that nitrate isn't an issue wit the test kit? I am skeptical that the media in there can remain anaerobic with weekly cleanings of the canister.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree! Not sure about the weekly cleaning part, but when you do need to it's more of a hassle. The other issue with certain canisters (check reviews) is leaking over time - which can be a hassle
I clean mine every 6 months...granted its full of LR rubble...10 minutes quick rinse out and done

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you made sure that nitrate isn't an issue wit the test kit? I am skeptical that the media in there can remain anaerobic with weekly cleanings of the canister.
It's in my sump so it doesn't get cleaned. I only use canisters filters on my quarantine tanks. I use a hanna checker so I'm pretty confident.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a leaking filter in 15 years in the freshwater hobby. Eheim, jbl and fluval.

I meant cleaning the mechanical filters in the canister. Which has the same purpose of filter socks of floss in a sump.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an oase canister with a built in heater. I fill three trays with seachem matrix for biological filtration and the top tray with activated carbon or any other media or floss I need. It has 4 prefilter sponges to trap incoming goop and easily clean. I think it’s calked a biomaster thermo 250 and I have a 120 L (30G) rimless tank. So yes, it does work.

My experience cautions you you these pain points I experience with the canister filter method:
1) surface circulation/skim preventing proper aeration and causing pH swings. Because there is no top overflow (the filter inlet is a tube low in the tank) surface film develops. Adding a protein skimmer doesn’t solve this, either, because it also draws from below the surface. It does, however, aerate the water and help with pH control. I think the surface skum also changes light intensity and spectrum. Skum prevents some of my fish food from falling into the water column.
2) it is a mess to maintain. I flood an area every time I maintain my filter (once per month). This seems worse with saltwater than it was with freshwater.
3) introduces bubbles at maintenance. Possible a problem if you keep certain corals, like SPS.
4) related to #2, the inlet and outlet pipes are a pain to maintain and clean. Can be an issue with tight rockwork or coral. It also kinda looks messy on the tank.
5) i have had a few issues with smaller inhabitants getting stuck in the inlet pipe, or stuck to the side of the pipe. Rare, but sad.
6) biology may be too aerobic with fast flow to do much good reducing nitrates out to nitrogen gas. It does well with ammonia reduction, but no further.
7) limited as to what you can run in the tank for other equipment. You can’t plumb in a UV sterilizer, for example. All other equipment, like auto top off, UV, skimmer, etc. all have to hang off your DT. No refugium option, but you can grow macroalgae in your DT.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back