Live rock in canister filter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aidensav
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aidensav

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2026
Messages
35
Reaction score
16
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my first saltwater aquarium and want live rock, but already bought dry rock so I have no room in my display tank. Could I use a canister filter for a place to put live rubble rock? Would a reactor be better?
 
I am setting up my first saltwater aquarium and want live rock, but already bought dry rock so I have no room in my display tank. Could I use a canister filter for a place to put live rubble rock? Would a reactor be better?
If you didnt buy the dry rock for a specific purpose....return it and use live rock. As much as you can. You'll thank me later.
 
You can, but you have to be diligent in maintaining flow at all times. Any extended power outage will leave it oxygen starved with a significant die-off. It really becomes more of a cryptic zone without any light. I would prefer to scatter the rubble around the floor of the tank.
 
I use a Oase' canister filter and I just filled it with dry rock rubble. As another here said, it becomes a cryptic zone, which is a good thing. But power must be maintained.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new