Setting up a Seahorse Tank

Jinxs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My husband and I have recently felt a devastating loss in our 55 gallon as marine velvet swept through our tank like wildfire. We lost all of our fish but 1, who is currently in copper QT.

We are planning on swapping our fish from our 30 gallon biocube to our 55 gallon after the 76 day fallow period. Thank God we didn't do it before velvet wiped out our babies.

So we're thinking of turning our 30 gallon into a small Seahorse tank. Maximum of 2 obviously. We wanted to take the next couple of months to research properly before moving forward.

We wanted some recommendations on which species would be healthy in a smaller tank or if we should even do it.

I've read all of the stickies on seahorses in this forum but I would also say each tank and owner will be a little bit different. Any advice is appreciated. Even if it's something I might not want to hear. Thank you.

Attaching a picture of the 30 gallon for reference.

This specific tank has been established for 3 years this August. Live sand that has been there since we cycled. It has an Aquatic Life 30 gallon skimmer. A HOB water filter, and a low powered powerheader. Temp is a steady 77 degrees.

Thank you in advance.

1497989218532-694909852.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My husband and I have recently felt a devastating loss in our 55 gallon as marine velvet swept through our tank like wildfire. We lost all of our fish but 1, who is currently in copper QT.

We are planning on swapping our fish from our 30 gallon biocube to our 55 gallon after the 76 day fallow period. Thank God we didn't do it before velvet wiped out our babies.

So we're thinking of turning our 30 gallon into a small Seahorse tank. Maximum of 2 obviously. We wanted to take the next couple of months to research properly before moving forward.

We wanted some recommendations on which species would be healthy in a smaller tank or if we should even do it.

I've read all of the stickies on seahorses in this forum but I would also say each tank and owner will be a little bit different. Any advice is appreciated. Even if it's something I might not want to hear. Thank you.

Attaching a picture of the 30 gallon for reference.

This specific tank has been established for 3 years this August. Live sand that has been there since we cycled. It has an Aquatic Life 30 gallon skimmer. A HOB water filter, and a low powered powerheader. Temp is a steady 77 degrees.

Thank you in advance.

1497989218532-694909852.jpg
A biocube can work well as a seahorse tank for a pair of ponies if you can get the temperature down a few more degrees. 77°F is pretty warm to keep seahorses long term unless you plan to only feed live food.

H erectus are considered by most to be the hardiest of the seahorse species.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back