Setting up an AIO for Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GlfFxtrtYnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started an 18G AIO, after adding my sand and rock I figure the actual water volume is around 14G. If I was to turn both the rear overflow compartments into a refugium, place the skimmer in another compartment, and then the return in the final I think I can set this tank up tk be run on the Triton Method. The two overflow compartments are 0.8G each or 1.6G in total. Could this work?

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the main thrust of Triton is that the plant life lives off the animal life waste and the animal life lives off the plant waste. One of the main triton tenants is that the macro algae be in your first section so the plant life gets the first crack at the fish waste. Also, the reason for the 10%+ refugium is to make sure there is adequate plant life. It is not a 9% = failure 11% = success. The supplementation of trace elements is to keep your water in balance and to replenish things that have been consumed. Consequently, based on my understanding of the Triton method, I think you are going to be "ok" with your plan. Execution will tell the tale of the tape!

OP
OP
GlfFxtrtYnky

GlfFxtrtYnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the main thrust of Triton is that the plant life lives off the animal life waste and the animal life lives off the plant waste. One of the main triton tenants is that the macro algae be in your first section so the plant life gets the first crack at the fish waste. Also, the reason for the 10%+ refugium is to make sure there is adequate plant life. It is not a 9% = failure 11% = success. The supplementation of trace elements is to keep your water in balance and to replenish things that have been consumed. Consequently, based on my understanding of the Triton method, I think you are going to be "ok" with your plan. Execution will tell the tale of the tape!
Thank you. I figured it would work ok. I have just been out of the hobby for a decade so this method is a new one for me.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back