Successfully plumbed macroalgae tank into existing AIO reef tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmercier
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bmercier

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
6
Location
St. Marys
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my final build of plumbing a new macroalgae tank into my existing 25 gallon AIO reef tank that's been successfully running for almost a month.

After some conservative estimates during planning, I went with a 6 gallon tank from Amazon. I calculated this volume would give roughly a 1"-1.5" clearance from the water line to the rim in my main display with the return pump off. I also used the Herbie overflow method with an Eshopps Eclipse S overflow box and the 14w Hygger full spectrum clip on light.
6317.jpg


To raise the macro tank above my reef tank I made a custom stand following videos from The King of DIY on YouTube.
6360.jpg
6373.jpg


For the macro substrate, I used a base layer of Ecosystem Miracle Mud with CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef on top.
6380.jpg
6378.jpg


Finally, I wrapped up the build (for now) with an order of live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and macroalgae I'd been growing in my main display.
6425.jpg
6426.jpg
6427.jpg
 
Last edited:
Very cool. Also wondering if you could’ve just done a MAR from Tunze. Wouldn’t be fun visually nor have a sand bed though so if you were looking for a copepod area this is probably the right way
 
Very cool. Also wondering if you could’ve just done a MAR from Tunze. Wouldn’t be fun visually nor have a sand bed though so if you were looking for a copepod area this is probably the right way
I had previously turned the middle chamber of my AIO into a mini refugium with an IM ChaetoMax light attached to the back that's been working wonderfully for about 6 months. With my tank running for almost 2 years and in a good spot, I really didn't want to start over from scratch with something bigger or worry about maintenance on two separate systems. The goal of this build was to figure out a way to add water volume for added stability, display some cool macros, provide further safe spaces for pods, and just generally expand on the ecosystem.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new