View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a basic code like this

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON

this works well EXCEPT any slight variation in water level turns the pump on and off constantly. So I added this extra line (which does nothing)

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
When ON > 002:00 Then OFF

I thought this would turn the pump on for 2 min and then back off, but it doesn't do anything. Also, I see lots of threads with DEFER and MIN but don't quite understand what it means.

Basically I'd like to have the pump turn on for 2-3 min... and then set it so it ignores the switch (can't turn back on) for 30 min. And maybe a line that says if it stays on for more than 10 min it turns off and alerts me?

Note: I don't have a second float (yet.) My ATO chamber is part of the sump, so if it does stick, it will simply flow back into the ATO chamber when the sump level gets too high. That said: I'll add a second float anyway.

Perhaps this?

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 2:00 Then OFF
Min Time 10:00 Then OFF

DEFER to keep in ON for 2min? and MIN for stopping it, if stuck on for 10 min?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should work for you.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:10 Then ON - A bit of hysteresis, to keep the pump from activating if the switch just closes momentarily.
Defer 002:00 Then OFF - Turns the pump off 2 minutes after the switch opens again.
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF - Keeps the pump from turning on again for 30 minutes. (Easiest to understand this if mentally omitting the word 'Then'.)
When On > 005:00 Then OFF - If the pump were to run for 5 minutes, it would generate an Error code and turn its Apex tile to OFF. Manually turn back to AUTO to resume.

If you want to also be notified when the error condition (pumping for > 5 minutes) occurs, then you have to add this line to your alert/alarm outlet:

If Error TopOffPumpName Then ON

Some other lines you can add to your top off code:

If Sal < 33.5 Then OFF - If you have a salinity probe, extra protection against pumping too much freshwater.
If Output ReturnPumpName = OFF Then OFF - Turns off your ATO when the return pump is off for any reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Defer 000:10 Then ON - A bit of hysteresis, to keep the pump from activating if the switch just closes momentarily."

So this basically means that the switch has to be activated for 10 seconds before Apex will begin any function?

"When On > 005:00 Then OFF - If the pump were to run for 5 minutes, it would generate an Error code and turn its Apex tile to OFF. Manually turn back to AUTO to resume."

Ohh i think i get this line now. I'd have to literally go into fusion to reactivate the ATO outlet.

Thanks for the help!

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Defer 000:10 Then ON - A bit of hysteresis, to keep the pump from activating if the switch just closes momentarily."

So this basically means that the switch has to be activated for 10 seconds before Apex will begin any function?

"When On > 005:00 Then OFF - If the pump were to run for 5 minutes, it would generate an Error code and turn its Apex tile to OFF. Manually turn back to AUTO to resume."

Ohh i think i get this line now. I'd have to literally go into fusion to reactivate the ATO outlet.

Thanks for the help!

Exactly right on both counts. :)

A Defer statement of a few seconds is great to add any time you have a switch or probe that might wobble about a set point.
Makes it have to actually stay in one state for a bit before activating anything.

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! This is what I'm using:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:15 Then ON
Defer 003:00 Then OFF
Min Time 020:00 Then OFF
When On > 010:00 Then OFF
If Output Return_1 = OFF Then OFF

And the EmailAlm looks like this:

Set OFF
If Error ATO_Pump Then ON

Oddly enough, I got an alarm a few min after entering this into EmailAlm. I manually set ATO_Pump outlet to OFF earlier in the day, its still OFF... not sure why Apex decided to alarm lol

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! This is what I'm using:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:15 Then ON
Defer 003:00 Then OFF
Min Time 020:00 Then OFF
When On > 010:00 Then OFF
If Output Return_1 = OFF Then OFF

And the EmailAlm looks like this:

Set OFF
If Error ATO_Pump Then ON

Oddly enough, I got an alarm a few min after entering this into EmailAlm. I manually set ATO_Pump outlet to OFF earlier in the day, its still OFF... not sure why Apex decided to alarm lol

Nice.

No idea about that last bit. Sometimes odd things happen when you put up new code, generally easily put right. :)

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was set an MJ1200 to come on for a short period time throughout each day to add a little RO water to my sump, so it is a more gradual process and keeps the salinity more stable. I just used this really simple two lines. In the winter when the heat is on I adjust it to run one more second than during the summer. It's been working flawlessly for about two years. I don't use a float level or anything, and it is just the right amount.

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:08/059:52 Then ON

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was set an MJ1200 to come on for a short period time throughout each day to add a little RO water to my sump, so it is a more gradual process and keeps the salinity more stable. I just used this really simple two lines. In the winter when the heat is on I adjust it to run one more second than during the summer. It's been working flawlessly for about two years. I don't use a float level or anything, and it is just the right amount.

Fallback OFF

I use an OSC on one of my ATOs as well. It feeds a kalkwasser reactor, and I want to dispense an exact amount every time.

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallback OFF

I used to do this, with a timer, for a several years. But it got to be a bit cumbersome. I switch to a JBJ ATO which was much better (but only lasted a year.)

The evaporation rate never seemed to be consistent enough so having a float-valve is helpful for that.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back