Setting up my 40 breeder, looking for advice

louti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So, after being out of the hobby for 4 years, I have decided to jump back in. My son is almost 1, and I know he'll enjoy it as he gets bigger. I picked up a 40 breeder and a 29 for the sump during petco's dollar per gallon sale last month. I have framed out my stand using the rocketengineer plan, and that thing is solid! Still figuring out how I want to skin the stand. So, I'm thinking I'll be running LED lights, a protein skimmer, and a refugium, for sure. I guess I'm really just looking for any suggestions y'all might have and anything new in the past couple of years I need to know about. Also, I want a quiet setup, since it's going to be in our living room. As I mentioned, I do have a baby at home and will have to be budget minded. Controllers, vortechs, and all the fancy reef gadgets are not in the cards, lol. Specific questions I'd like some help with are:

1. What do you suggest for a quiet overflow/return? I have drilled tanks in the past with success and am not scared to do it again. My last tank was a 120 with a Herbie style overflow.

2.What's a good skimmer these days? I always liked my reef octopus. Is there something better that is not crazy expensive? Is there something better in the same price range or cheaper?

3. Any other tips for keeping things quiet?

4. Anybody have experience with the jebao cross flow powerheads? They look interesting and won't break the bank.

5. Any other general tips. I'm trying to take my time and really think this tank through.

Thanks in advance for the help! I hope I didn't ramble too much.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! The 40B is a good choice because it will give you plenty of flexibility in the future. Personally, I am a big fan of Reef Octopus skimmers and am using three right now. From what I have heard on the Jebao pumps, some people really like them and others won't touch them so opinions seem to be all of the place. An ATO is not always considered to be a budget tank item but it really helps with the stability of your tank.

I'm sure others will chime in soon with more insights. Good luck!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

as mentioned those reef octopus have a good reputation. I don’t think I have seen a bad post about them come to think about it. Since you ok drilling they have overflow you can drill the tank for and set up as a bean animal drain for quiet drain. Personally I stay away from jabeo, personal choice.

always a good reference

OP
OP
L

louti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

as mentioned those reef octopus have a good reputation. I don’t think I have seen a bad post about them come to think about it. Since you ok drilling they have overflow you can drill the tank for and set up as a bean animal drain for quiet drain. Personally I stay away from jabeo, personal choice.

always a good reference

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be doing an ATO. I will read through that link, thanks. Also, I should clarify, I don't mind spending money to do things right. I'm just not going to send on the fancy gadgets, especially if I can get by with a cheaper option/DIY.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octo skimmer, jebao DCP return pump, auto top off from autotopoff.com, and a solid set of test kits for nitrate, phosphate, and alk, and a hannah digital salt meter. The jebao wave makers are ok, but they WILL break. Better off to get a used gyre or an MP40... they will have resale value.

OP
OP
L

louti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octo skimmer, jebao DCP return pump, auto top off from autotopoff.com, and a solid set of test kits for nitrate, phosphate, and alk, and a hannah digital salt meter. The jebao wave makers are ok, but they WILL break. Better off to get a used gyre or an MP40... they will have resale value.

Thanks, I'll look closer at those return pumps. They seem to have good reviews.

I am ordering hole saws, bulkhead, and a gate valve today. I'm going to go with a herbie overflow since it's one less hole and I can get away with a smaller overflow box.

OP
OP
L

louti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size jebao dcp would be appropriate for my 40 breeder? I'm having a hard time finding a flow chart.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back