Setting up New Tank. Use 72x24x42 I have, or spend money...

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new tank after having dismantled my previous when my house was being remodeled. I have had a 72x24x42 in my garage empty for two years that I got a crazy deal on. I would like a 30" wide tank and probably 30-36" tall ideally, however a new tank of this size would be 4-5k and take months to get here. 42" is crazy tall and maint. would be horrible, however I don't typically stick my hands in my tanks all that often. 42" might give a new perspective on aquascape and allow for vertical exploration by fish.

Thoughts? Obviously the dream would be to get the perfect tank now, but not sure that's financially wise when I have a perfectly good, albeit tall, tank in the garage along with two kids that could use that in their college savings!

force_of_echo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new tank after having dismantled my previous when my house was being remodeled. I have had a 72x24x42 in my garage empty for two years that I got a crazy deal on. I would like a 30" wide tank and probably 30-36" tall ideally, however a new tank of this size would be 4-5k and take months to get here. 42" is crazy tall and maint. would be horrible, however I don't typically stick my hands in my tanks all that often. 42" might give a new perspective on aquascape and allow for vertical exploration by fish.

Thoughts? Obviously the dream would be to get the perfect tank now, but not sure that's financially wise when I have a perfectly good, albeit tall, tank in the garage along with two kids that could use that in their college savings!
Hi! I would stick to what you have to be honest! I’d give it a good rinse and start!

I just started on another small reef tank and wanted to go crazy and buy the biggest tank etc but like you I just bought a massive house and had a baby so I’d rather keep the spare in the bank for my daughter!

the tank you have is excellent enough to do what you’re looking for! BUT if you have the spare money and want to go wild then why not! :) have you got a picture of your tank that’s in the garage?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a challenge but look at those monster tank guys, there’s a way. I would go for it just to play with the aquascape but find some Tongs and maybe some snorkeling gear haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 63 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back