help i have soap in my tank

DT_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just decided to get back into the hobby. i had a brute trash can i used for my rodi water that has been sitting in my garage for the past 4 years causing it to be extremely dirty. unfortunately i used dawn dish soap and my power washer to get it clean, but from the looks of it i must of left some soap residue inside the container. now that i filled my tank up i have soap bubbles all around the surface. what should i do?

20231011_190728.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a skimmer, let it run, it will need to be dumped constantly, but will rid the soap. I too did this with laundry detergent when I washed my filter socks. Oddly, nothing suffered.

OP
OP
D

DT_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a skimmer, let it run, it will need to be dumped constantly, but will rid the soap. I too did this with laundry detergent when I washed my filter socks. Oddly, nothing suffered.
unfortunately i do not have a skimmer for this tank yet

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drain it as much as possible wipe any soap scum with a cloth and refill and monitor. Redoing saltmix is alot easier to sacrifice than corals fish inverts etc...

This way you can dilute it as much as possible.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately i do not have a skimmer for this tank yet
I assume they're referring to the surface skimmer portion of your overflow. The soap will mostly sit on top, especially if you aren't doing high flow currently.

Edit: fwiw I would also just drain and remake the water. I would siphon or use a container to pull surface water while you're doing it so it's less likely to settle on the rocks.

RyanN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just decided to get back into the hobby. i had a brute trash can i used for my rodi water that has been sitting in my garage for the past 4 years causing it to be extremely dirty. unfortunately i used dawn dish soap and my power washer to get it clean, but from the looks of it i must of left some soap residue inside the container. now that i filled my tank up i have soap bubbles all around the surface. what should i do?

20231011_190728.jpg
If you just set this up that could be from the sand. I'm pretty sure every time I've set up a new tank with new sand I had this foam on top.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to follow up on your efforts as im filling a new tank and your post reminded me. This is the kind of foam some of us were referencing to when using carib sea sand. It almost looks like froth from like coffee or hot chocolate lol

20231025_093208.jpg

OP
OP
D

DT_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to follow up on your efforts as im filling a new tank and your post reminded me. This is the kind of foam some of us were referencing to when using carib sea sand. It almost looks like froth from like coffee or hot chocolate lol

20231025_093208.jpg
It was a brand new tank just filled. I believe it did end up being the ocean direct sand. I went to check out my rodi brute container, and I couldn't find any type of soap residue. I just scooped as much as I could out, and changed my filter pad out the next day. Every seems to be going just fine as of today!

OP
OP
D

DT_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a brand new tank just filled. I believe it did end up being the ocean direct sand. I went to check out my rodi brute container, and I couldn't find any type of soap residue. I just scooped as much as I could out, and changed my filter pad out the next day. Every seems to be going just fine as of today!
20231025_104845.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back