Setting up Ozone

  • Thread starter Thread starter DmitryB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
956
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm setting up an Ozone machine:

- Poseidon 200
- Milwaukee ORP probe
- Octo Regal 200 INT skimmer where the Ozone will go into the silencer
- BRS Air Dryer

Plugged in the ORP probe for the first time and it's reading 142. Some comment online I saw says you should let the ORP probe break in for a week before using it to control Ozone. Does that sound right?

Also, I think I bought just enough ozone safe tubing to go from the Poseidon into the skimmer. I'm ordering more, but it'll be a minute before it arrives. Is it safe for a week to run regular airline from dryer into the Poseidon? Theoretically I assume yes because that's just regular air going into the machine.

Can't wait for my water to stop being green!
 
I'm setting up an Ozone machine:

- Poseidon 200
- Milwaukee ORP probe
- Octo Regal 200 INT skimmer where the Ozone will go into the silencer
- BRS Air Dryer

Plugged in the ORP probe for the first time and it's reading 142. Some comment online I saw says you should let the ORP probe break in for a week before using it to control Ozone. Does that sound right?

Also, I think I bought just enough ozone safe tubing to go from the Poseidon into the skimmer. I'm ordering more, but it'll be a minute before it arrives. Is it safe for a week to run regular airline from dryer into the Poseidon? Theoretically I assume yes because that's just regular air going into the machine.

Can't wait for my water to stop being green!

I’ve run that same rig, just with a different skimmer.

Don’t worry too much about the raw numbers that your ORP is giving, look for change with ozone application. If you get a 10 to 25 point rise, have the controller set to turn off at that point. Then, as the probe settles in, you’ll need to change the set point. I use a simple DPD pool chlorine test to look for over application of ozone from a defective probe - any pink color means free ozone, and that needs to be avoided.

I’m not sure what the “green water” issue you are having is. If it’s planktonic algae, I’ve always found a good UV to work better than ozone. If you mean yellow|green tinting due to organics, then ozone is the ticket.
 
Any tubing should be ozone safe.
One week wont hurt.
I run same unit on my 150.
Setting of 3 running 24/7.
I have ran no air dryer for 2.5 years now with no issues.
I check my probe using a standard 400. It has been within 390-410 when checked.
I would set the orp for 300. Let the system come up to that level.for a week or 2. Evaluate and adjust up if needed.
You can see where I teed in the ozone.
20260918_090247.jpg
 
The Octo Regal is a bit wonky. The tubing needed for the air intake on the skimmer is very different from what's coming out of the Poseidon 200. So now there's a reducer. I also set up an air pump to push air into the dryer. (It's very humid in my apartment. I run dehumidifier and it pulls a gallon every 5 hours.) The color of the skimmer is basically black since I started running ozone. And the water clarity is off the charts!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new