OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was the lion out of curiosity? I think I have at least a few years until the eel is a risk with most large fish, his head is smaller than my pointer finger so maybe…although I’d prefer not to…he’ll get his own tank. Just currently rent so wouldn’t want a second large tank until I own where I’m laying them.

I would say his lion was probably close to a foot. Maybe like 10".

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is a coincidence, but I just paid for 2 Personatus and wondering if you happen to be the one selling them thru MC? I'm trying to buy 2 more as well. Fingers crossed we will see what happens!

No mine went to a local reefer.

I actually lost touch with them soon after taking my tank down. I literally have no idea how my old fish are doing :(

It was kind of a clean break from reefing back then...

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say his lion was probably close to a foot. Maybe like 10".
Dam that's disheartening, I love lions. Seeing reccomendations of larger groupers, angels, and triggers being best with the eel. I lost one of my clowns already : ( It looked way too big, def have a monster on my hands. Trying to catch the wife now who's triple the size and take no chances. Very tempted to get a yellow fuzzy lion that is way too big for him to eat to replace everyone in there but now feel like its only a matter of time until he eats that too. He'd only live with the lion less than a year so I guess is a race of what grows faster. Given my experience with dwarfs, it might be fine for the time being, but it is a pricey dwarf.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mine went to a local reefer.

I actually lost touch with them soon after taking my tank down. I literally have no idea how my old fish are doing :(

It was kind of a clean break from reefing back then...

Not sure how many you had but I have 5 now. If any of them happened to have been yours, then they are fat and happy!

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam that's disheartening, I love lions. Seeing reccomendations of larger groupers, angels, and triggers being best with the eel. I lost one of my clowns already : ( It looked way too big, def have a monster on my hands. Trying to catch the wife now who's triple the size and take no chances. Very tempted to get a yellow fuzzy lion that is way too big for him to eat to replace everyone in there but now feel like its only a matter of time until he eats that too. He'd only live with the lion less than a year so I guess is a race of what grows faster. Given my experience with dwarfs, it might be fine for the time being, but it is a pricey dwarf.

Groupers are great and share a symbiotic relationship with moray eels. In the wild groupers and eels cooperatively hunt. If you search I believe Planet Earth caught some footage of this in the past.

Some caution, once you put the grouper in, if their relationship kicks off, nothing outside of other morays can probably be in the tank with them. I'm not sure if you can mix other grouper species together, but most of them fly solo in the wild.

Hope this helps, but please fact check me in case I got any of this info wrong or I missed some stuff.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Groupers are great and share a symbiotic relationship with moray eels. In the wild groupers and eels cooperatively hunt. If you search I believe Planet Earth caught some footage of this in the past.

Some caution, once you put the grouper in, if their relationship kicks off, nothing outside of other morays can probably be in the tank with them. I'm not sure if you can mix other grouper species together, but most of them fly solo in the wild.

Hope this helps, but please fact check me in case I got any of this info wrong or I missed some stuff.

Do you think the eel would eat a benthic shark?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the shark is small enough it can be eaten. On the contrary, the shark could also eat your eel.

Played it safe and got rid of all the fish in the tank with the eel that he hadn't eaten and put them in their own new tank. Replaced them with this guy who at least for the time being I would be shocked the eel can eat:
1712146499377.png

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played it safe and got rid of all the fish in the tank with the eel that he hadn't eaten and put them in their own new tank. Replaced them with this guy who at least for the time being I would be shocked the eel can eat:
1712146499377.png

Went searching for a particular video I remember seeing and I found this...

The video I was searching for was this night dive someone did where an Eel attacked a Frogfish. Honestly, the diver with their light is what probably caused this Frogfish to get caught. Still an interesting watch how the Frog resists.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes saw the first video! The lion seems comically large to be attacked right now but definitely not keeping them together long term. Interestingly though, I saw a tank full of dwarf lions and other similar fish with a full grown skeletor eel without issues

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went searching for a particular video I remember seeing and I found this...

The video I was searching for was this night dive someone did where an Eel attacked a Frogfish. Honestly, the diver with their light is what probably caused this Frogfish to get caught. Still an interesting watch how the Frog resists.

Ok so my eel is literally a baby, like 10in, head the size of my pinky, and he is already trying to hunt that 4in lion I added. Idk what to do, he's hunting it but its so much bigger than his head. This eel is a monster, and unfortunately the lion is an idiot and not helping itself, will just chill right in front of his cave with his back towards it. It's seems to wave off the eel though but not sure how much hunting I'm seeing vs how much happens at night and hasn't had consequences.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my eel is literally a baby, like 10in, head the size of my pinky, and he is already trying to hunt that 4in lion I added. Idk what to do, he's hunting it but its so much bigger than his head. This eel is a monster, and unfortunately the lion is an idiot and not helping itself, will just chill right in front of his cave with his back towards it. It's seems to wave off the eel though but not sure how much hunting I'm seeing vs how much happens at night and hasn't had consequences.

Where Lionfish are invasive and divers hunt them, they just kind of sit there as well. I would expect it from a fish that probably feels invincible.

Their natural predator list is very small, although, I'm reading that some moray eels are natural predators along with groupers and sharks.

If this were my tank I would purchase a decent size Miniatus or Panther Grouper and see how it works.

I love the blue and yellow cod but even my 400 gallon is too small for one of them.

If you had a huge tank you could maybe try a larger active snapper.

My Emperor Snapper, to this day, is still my favorite fish I've ever owned. Too bad she outgrew her tank in no time at all. Not sure where she ended up after I took her to a LFS. I tried giving her to some aquariums but limited interest because she would grow to 4 feet.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is small I live in Manhattan, I jumped on the baby Japanese Dragon because I figure it won't grow out of my tank until I move in less than a year out of the city and can upgrade. Could easily try a baby grouper but idk how it'd far at a smaller size and I know they grow incredibly fast. I gave away my cherub angel to a better home so it wasn't at risk, but honestly idk if it even was, I feel like anything very aware of the eel and that is fast seems safe. Would love to keep a lunula trigger with it in a 6ft+ tank. But for now I thought for a small tank a large (for my tank) lion would be safest and doesn't need the space, but this worm sized eel thinks its Hades.

May I ask what was so interesting about the snapper? Never kept one, used to have a larger fish only in high school. Had a zebra moray in there, so much less stress, was harmless.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any thoughts on a Japanese Big Eye? My initial assumption is might have similar issues to a lion fish but maybe more awareness.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is small I live in Manhattan, I jumped on the baby Japanese Dragon because I figure it won't grow out of my tank until I move in less than a year out of the city and can upgrade. Could easily try a baby grouper but idk how it'd far at a smaller size and I know they grow incredibly fast. I gave away my cherub angel to a better home so it wasn't at risk, but honestly idk if it even was, I feel like anything very aware of the eel and that is fast seems safe. Would love to keep a lunula trigger with it in a 6ft+ tank. But for now I thought for a small tank a large (for my tank) lion would be safest and doesn't need the space, but this worm sized eel thinks its Hades.

May I ask what was so interesting about the snapper? Never kept one, used to have a larger fish only in high school. Had a zebra moray in there, so much less stress, was harmless.
Depending on the grouper they don't need much space. They're fairly lazy and stay in their dwelling most of the time. You could maybe try something like a Marine Betta, or even a 6 Line Soapfish. The 6 Line have a reputation for their potential toxins, but apparently it is a complete overstatement.

The Emperor was basically a dog in a fish tank. It is an incredibly personable fish. If I ever decide to turn one of my basement rooms into a pool I would consider getting one again. Otherwise, they belong in a very large, preferably public, aquarium or stay in the ocean.

Any thoughts on a Japanese Big Eye? My initial assumption is might have similar issues to a lion fish but maybe more awareness.

I have no idea. You could make a post on the Humblefish forum and ask eatbreakfast. He is very helpful in recommendations.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you I will ask! Actually saw a few marine bettas available at my local fish stores that weren't too large, maybe will give that a try.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will ask! Actually saw a few marine bettas available at my local fish stores that weren't too large, maybe will give that a try.

This is the thread where you can ask about tankmates and husbandry. It is very helpful.

Explain your situation, what you'd like to achieve, and ask if any of the fish you're interested in might work.

You can ask for fish mate recommendations as well.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is the thread where you can ask about tankmates and husbandry. It is very helpful.

Explain your situation, what you'd like to achieve, and ask if any of the fish you're interested in might work.

Amazing, thank you!

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So I made an account, but it says I don't have privileges to reply to that group?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back