Setting Up QT

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a QT system to move ALL of my fish into so I can eradicate ICK and/or Brook from my reef. Most of my fish are small and I was going to put them into a 20 gallon for 2.5-3 months.

20 Gallon Tank:
1 oscellaris clown
1 red head solon fairy wrasse
1 small mccoscker's flasher wrasse
1 small lubbock's fairy wrasse
1 zebra dartfish
1 melenaurus wrasse
1 black sailfin blenny

44 Gallon Rubbermaid Trash Can
1 4-5 inch One Spot Foxface
1 4-5 inch Bristletooth Tang

Do you think there will be any overcrowding issues with either of these stockings? Would you do it different? I am going to do cupramine treatment in these QTs and leave my reef fallow.

I will have a small dish of sand for the melanaurus but other than that just some PVC caves.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a QT system to move ALL of my fish into so I can eradicate ICK and/or Brook from my reef. Most of my fish are small and I was going to put them into a 20 gallon for 2.5-3 months.

20 Gallon Tank:
1 oscellaris clown
1 zebra dartfish
1 melenaurus wrasse
1 black sailfin blenny

Do you think there will be any overcrowding issues with either of these stockings? Would you do it different? I am going to do cupramine treatment in these QTs and leave my reef fallow.

I will have a small dish of sand for the melanaurus but other than that just some PVC caves.

I would use coppersafe over Cupramine - you may need to rely on ammonia removers in these newly set up tanks, and Cupramine can release toxic amounts of copper if you use those with it.

I’m not a fan of holding fish in trash cans - with no lateral viewing, you can’t really judge the fish’s progress.

You will likely need a lot of bacteria in a bottle for both of these tanks (and I agree, the 20 seems crowded).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

20 Gallon Tank:
1 oscellaris clown
1 zebra dartfish
1 melenaurus wrasse
1 black sailfin blenny

thats a lot of fish for a 20g and if one problem evolves, theyre all infected. These fish should be in a 40breeder minimum and in addition to monitoring ammonia levels, you will want to add addition aeration with air stone. In addition, You are better off with safer form of chelated copper such as copper safe or copper power and monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand. Also a relianle ammonia kit.

OP
OP
rmcrom

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could get a 40g breeder instead of the 44 brute. Do you think the fish could be safely split between the 20 and the 40?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back