setting white balance

  • Thread starter Thread starter mfinn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
14,344
Reaction score
11,315
Location
Olympia, WA.
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm still have a problem setting the white balance on my Nikon and I was wondering, is it better to use a white, but flat color object, as opposed to a white glossy object?
I tried using a white Corelle dinner plate, which is very shiney and glossy.
Would the gloss be messing with the cameras senors?
 
It shouldn't matter. What is your camera model? I'll look up your owners manual and see if I can figure out why the white balance isn't getting adjusted.
Gary
 
It is the D80.
 
Does this help?
When you turn the dial to PRE, let go of the WB button and then press it again and hold it. "PRE" will start flashing in the display, and then simply shoot something that is white.

After you take the shot the display will read either "good" or "no gd" and then you're set!
 
I heard that a coffee filter is good to use.
 
Does this help?
When you turn the dial to PRE, let go of the WB button and then press it again and hold it. "PRE" will start flashing in the display, and then simply shoot something that is white.

After you take the shot the display will read either "good" or "no gd" and then you're set!



I did not see any of those steps. That must be the reason it wasn't working.
I'll give it a go.

Thank-you
 
If your display keeps telling you "no gd" then you might try keeping your lens perpendicular to the glass. I have found its hard to set the white balance at an angle. I think there is a reflection or something.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new