Seven supplements needed for a mixed reef ?

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am completely new to reef keeping and I just got this online recipe from the Red sea website. Are these all required or a some pointless.
Screenshot_20210612-135236_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210612-135231_Chrome.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None are pointless - but that does not mean they are all useful in every scenario. As others said if you are just starting dont get bogged down in dosing things they really are not needed initially. Only possible exception is the nopox if you have a high nutrient scenario and want to carbon dose to reduce.

Eventually if all goes well and you have a decently stocked tank with a good deal of lps and/or sps then alk/calc/mg usually become a necessity. You will know it is time when your alk is consistently dropping daily.

The "colors" are i think mostly trace elements(i dont use red sea i am kind of guessing here). Many people sucessfully dont dose them at all and just rely on water changes. Others swear by them. I been in hobby decades and never really used until recently...and i can definetely notice a good positive impact. Again though no need until you have a well established tank with growing corals.

The "reef energy" is amino acids and similar. I do notice a significant difference with my sps when using amino acids, but again i would not call them essential

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 112 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back