Seven week old reef tank, lots of growth, calcium at 260 ppm

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six weeks ago we purchase a 65 gallon tank from a local marine supply on July 23rd. We immediately added water and salt until we reached 1.025. We added approximately 25 pounds of live rock that had been purchased back from an established reef tank. The rocks came with green star polyp, green palys, yellow polyps, some mushrooms and lots of coralline algae.

We have a combination of a shell gravel product and fine sand from the Bahamas on the bottom of our 36"x18"x25" tank.

We began adding 1.5 ml of ammonium chloride each day to increase bacteria growth. After a test showing high a ammonia level we added a bottled bacteria product. We added another live rock on August 5th.

On August 6th, two weeks after bringing the tank home we added two clowns and an anemone. At this point we decreased to six drops of ammonium chloride per day.

A week later we added four new corals. A xenia, a cluster of zoanthids, an acropora and one I am not certain about. We began adding 10 ml of purple tech each day to feed the corals.

We have used a system developed by our marine supply store of adding purple tech any day that dKH is between 8 and 12 or super buffer on days that dKH is below 8. We have probably added the buffer 4 times over the 7 weeks.

We added 60+ pounds of dry rock to the bottom of the tank as well as two wave makers. The rock is stacked so that the fish can swim under and though the rocks. The rock is placed at angles so that minimal rock is touching the sand.

Soon we began to have a growth of long haired algae. We increased our calcium chloride to 1.5 ml and began adding 2 ml of vodka every morning. We also added a protein skimmer that runs 24/7.

During the second half of August everything grew well. The vodka seemed to be removing the algae's food so it would die off then come back. We added 10 snails and liked how they were cleaning the rocks. We also added a scooter blenny.

On Sept 4th we added a 50 critter clean up crew that consisted of mainly tiny snails and tiny hermit crabs as well as a few larger snails and a lettuce nudibranch. At the same time we added 1,000 copepods / antipodes and four more corals. Those corals were blue mushroom, painted war coral, red war coral and tequila sunrise zoanthids.

A coral that we do not know the name of, it is a green puff above the clown in the picture at the bottom of this post, went inside and did not open for three days. On the first day I went to the marine supply who sold me three additives. One was Kent Coral-Vite which is 4.9% calcium with other balanced stuff. I believe the other two were magnesium and iodine. I began adding these weekly per the instructions. I also changed 12 gallon of water. This was the first and only water change that I have performed. I also removed the carbon from our Emperor 400 filter. The green puff opened slowly on the fourth day.

On Sept 12th we added a very small goniopora and a pink fish (seen below).

I have been testing dKH every morning. It has typically been 9.5 but has ranged from 8 to 11. I also check ammonia with a API kit every morning, it is almost always undetectable. Most evenings I check nitrates and PH. The nitrates are undetectable. With the exception of some algae die offs where the KH fell as well PH has been 8.2 to 8.4. I believe 8 is the lowest it has dropped and 8.4 has been the highest.

Roughly 5 days ago I bought an API calcium test kit. I tested calcium at the time and found it to be around 300. I was surprised by the low calcium but believe the Coral-Vite would correct it. So I added Coral-Vite and the other two additives. I tested calcium again four days later and found the calcium level was at 260. I added more Coral-Vite and increased the purple tech dosage to 15 ml. The calcium level was closer to 280 this morning.

We are seven weeks in. We have not lost any coral or fish. Everything seems to be growing well. I believe that the low calcium levels are due to the growth of coralline algae onto the dry rocks at the bottom of the tank. Even our snails are covered in pretty shades of pink and purple.

I am hoping that you can advise me on how to increase the calcium levels. I know that this was long winded but I felt that might be the best way to explain where our tank it. Thank you for your help.

IMG_1919.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding to this, we have an Orbit Marine Pro 36-48" LED light and a Mainland Emperor 400 filter in addition to the protein skimmer.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes with a salt mix like Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals, mix your own with RO/DI water. I would be extremely reluctant to place an anemone in such a new tank. There really is no insta tank recipe that works in the long run, it works for the local fish store because they are able to sell you more products.

Excellent beginnings, looks and sound like your getting your head wrapped around the dynamics.

I see Byropsis algae, simple enough to treat you'll need Kent Marine Magnesium (only that brand will work), get a Salifert magnesium test kit, raise magnesium 100 ppm each 24 hours until you reach a value of 1600.

Welcome. :)

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all soft corals i would think your tank changes alone should keep up with your levels(assuming you do tank change every week or so)... maybe a bad test kit ?? or salt mixing issue or bad batch mixed

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all soft corals i would think your tank changes alone should keep up with your levels(assuming you do tank change every week or so)... maybe a bad test kit ?? or salt mixing issue or bad batch mixed

I have only performed one water change which as roughly 10 days ago. I changed out 12 gallons of water at that time. My first calcium test was five days later and the calcium was ~ 300 ppm at that time.

I am waiting for new filters for a RO/DI that should be here today or tomorrow. I may perform a water change again at that time. But is a 10% to 20% water change really going to correct calcium levels that are 40% too low?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point with the inverts and fish you have and the corals the Calcium level is not critical.

Just do a couple of 10% water changes over the course of a week and it should be fine.

Here are some guidelines.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

No intervention is warranted until you get the filtration system. The tank will be fine, proceed slowly, one change at a time and enjoy.

If this level is going to bother you then get a simple two part solution, kent, two fishes,...... add only the part a the calcium component. Discontinue the Purple Up. Next get some decent test kits, Red Sea, or Salfert for Calcium, a Hanna Checker or Salifert or Red Sea for Alkalinity, perferrably a Hanna Checker for Alk.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add calcium chloride per the reef calculator to get calcium up to 400-450ppm. a 25 pound bag of cal-chlor (anhydrous) 8 years ago was $9 and/or a 50 pound bad of dow flake (dihydrous) was $23 from two different redi mix concrete companies.
I would also read up and study the Dr. randy Holmes-Farley diy two part system.

my .02

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add calcium chloride per the reef calculator to get calcium up to 400-450ppm. a 25 pound bag of cal-chlor (anhydrous) 8 years ago was $9 and/or a 50 pound bad of dow flake (dihydrous) was $23 from two different redi mix concrete companies.
I would also read up and study the Dr. randy Holmes-Farley diy two part system.

Where would I find the reef calculator?

I assume I should increase the calcium level slowly over several days?

Thanks

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stop using Purple Tech. it sounds like repackaged Purple Up, and if so, cannot do what it claims.

The fine calcium carbonate in it CANNOT dissolve in normal seawater. But it can stay as suspended solids and give false readings with test kits in which it may dissolve during testing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium in your tank will reflect the calcium in the salt mix (or salt water) you are using. It did not drop from natural levels to 260 ppm in that tank.

So either the test is off (common), or the salt you used is deficient. What was it?

I'd be careful about boosting calcium so much if it might actually be fine now.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would I find the reef calculator?

I assume I should increase the calcium level slowly over several days?

Thanks
The reef calculator is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-chemistry-calculators.172972/

the diy two part here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Yes you are supposed to make changes slowly. IMHO if you follow those instructions you can make a two time or even one time adjustments.

On the diy two part the hard thing to find is the magnesium chloride. I found it at an local industrial supplier at ~$20 for a 50 pound bag with no shipping charges. But your experience will vary to some degree. I guess there is always brs or back in the day I used to give this stuff away at club meetings/frag swaps. still have over half left. LOL

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals now. The initial fill was a 60 gallon bag of Instant Ocean Sea Salt.

Then I think it very likely the salinity is much lower than you think or the calcium is higher than you think.

Check the new salt water for calcium, and maybe get the tank water tested some other way. :)

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I think it very likely the salinity is much lower than you think or the calcium is higher than you think.

Check the new salt water for calcium, and maybe get the tank water tested some other way. :)

Do the additives in reef crystals show up in the specific gravity? My hydrometer under reports. When it shows 1.021 my marine supply shops refractometer shows 1.025.

It is very possible that the API calcium test is off. I will mix up a gallon of new salt water and test it. I was hoping my new filters would arrive today.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the additives in reef crystals show up in the specific gravity? My hydrometer under reports. When it shows 1.021 my marine supply shops refractometer shows 1.025.

It is very possible that the API calcium test is off. I will mix up a gallon of new salt water and test it. I was hoping my new filters would arrive today.

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand the first question. All of the salts in Reef Crystals contribute to specific gravity, but hydrometers are often inaccurate.

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the additives in reef crystals alter the reading from a refractometer?

Do all of the additives or just the salt in the Reef Crystals alter the hydrometer reading?

Thanks

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing fresh mixed RO and "Reef Crystal" water I get the same ~260 reading as my tank. I guess the API test is bad.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing fresh mixed RO and "Reef Crystal" water I get the same ~260 reading as my tank. I guess the API test is bad.

Yes, that seems likely, or possibly a bad batch of salt, but much more likely the former.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the additives in reef crystals alter the reading from a refractometer?

Do all of the additives or just the salt in the Reef Crystals alter the hydrometer reading?

Thanks

Every chemical in any salt mix contributes to the specific gravity, not just the sodium chloride. :)

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot more lps, softies and a few sps than you do and with RO/DI water and red sea salt I have to dose 1.4ml of calcium every month, mag i dont have to touch same with ph and alk. I have only been in this hobby for about 6 months now but that entire start up seemed off. Hope all is under control now.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back