Several permutations at first rockscape

ChrisSen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: I haven't glued/epoxied anything yet. I have plenty of PURPLE epoxy and I want to fill this tank this weekend... is thin superglue only sold online or what? Also, While some of this was broken up, I don't really want to break up everything and build something out of 167 pieces and super detailed with a gallon of superglue. My plan is just to use the purple epoxy I have, and then attempt to cover it up with the dust and some super glue. I grabbed a mix of different rocks from the LFS that I liked and wanted to work with. I'm not overly concerned with purple and tan rocks/epoxy mixing.

This is for a Red Sea 350 (48" x 20") and I prefer the variety of mixed tank. The right side is bare because I'm going to transfer this rockscape from by 16 gallon Biocube. (Please excuse the mess) It's hard to tell but it's actually very decent at being a habitat focused, though unglued, stack.

0.JPG

Here was my first stacking. I REALLY liked this and thought it would give good mounting locations for all types of corals and it looked really awesome with plenty of spots to swim through... but then I started reading/watching some of the tutorials and I started thinking that maybe this isn't very fish-habitat-minded. And it also wouldn't provide much open sand space in between this assembly and the transfer rock.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

So I moved to a box cutout and the floor and started trying other options. I STILL prefer my first built so let me know if you folks like it for function as well as form.

(Note the backwall of the box is about half the height of the tank, unmeasured and I drew out the box for the overflow with a simple pen)

Here was attempt #2. Lots more covered areas but not a lot of private space. Lots of top showing surface, but almost nothing high enough for SPS.

5.jpg
6.jpg

10.jpg

Next is also very short but I liked a lot better. I really like how the cove came out and the tiny lagoon is a cute space. This also included an attempt the consider the rule of thirds (Keep in mind that the right side is missing 15-20lbs of rock to be added later). I am a amateur photographer so I know this concept a bit

7.jpg

8.jpg
9.jpg

Anyways. What do y'all think of my first attempts at "designing an aquascape"? Should I go with any of these? 0.JPG

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the first one. Like the tongue and grooves of a reef. I was just on Molasses Reef in Key Largo.....so. my 30 gallon has 3 arms.
IMG_20230611_142332.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back