Several Valley of the Sun Specialty Fish Stores visited.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I visited 60% of the stores in the Valley. I live in North west Surprise and I got as far as Highway 87 out in Gilbert. I wanted to visit stores that were dedicated to the hobby, hence Big Box stores where not visited.

My goal, find stores that I would feel confident in buying equipment and livestock from. I prefer to support local stores than buy online. These smaller operators need our business to support us in our hobbies.

All I can say is wow.. Some stores are pretty bad and need someone to go in and clean house. Others were so professional and clean. Let me say.. first impressions mean everything to a customer. I'm not going to bad mouth stores but I will say there where some positive highlights I want to mention.

First of all the top three clean and nicest looking stores I visited where both Kona Reef stores in Surprise and Phoenix also Artistic Aquariums in Gilbert. These stores had a professional interior image, they where clean and the stock all looked healthy.

The best stock of equipment was Ocean Floor. If I need something I bet these guys have it.

I went to go into Epic Oceans in Tempe but they look to be out of business.

Stores NOT visited are: Tropical Treasures, Southwest seas, Get tanked Aquariums, Reef Monsters, The Coral Life and Vasca Aquarium supplies. Since I didn't go in these stores I can provide no thoughts on them in any way.

This link is my source map on all the stores and what I found in the Valley
Map to stores in the Phoenix area You have click the Magnifying glass on the search bar

Last edited:

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I visited 60% of the stores in the Valley. I live in North west Surprise and I got as far as Highway 87 out in Gilbert. I wanted to visit stores that were dedicated to the hobby, hence Big Box stores where not visited.

My goal, find stores that I would feel confident in buying equipment and livestock from. I prefer to support local stores than buy online. These smaller operators need our business to support us in our hobbies.

All I can say is wow.. Some stores are pretty bad and need someone to go in and clean house. Others were so professional and clean. Let me say.. first impressions mean everything to a customer. I'm not going to bad mouth stores but I will say there where some positive highlights I want to mention.

First of all the top three clean and nicest looking stores I visited where both Kona Reef stores in Surprise and Phoenix also Artistic Aquariums in Gilbert. These stores had a professional interior image, they where clean and the stock all looked healthy.

The best stock of equipment was Ocean Floor. If I need something I bet these guys have it.

I went to go into Epic Oceans in Tempe but they look to be out of business.

Stores NOT visited are: Tropical Treasures, Southwest seas, Get tanked Aquariums, Reef Monsters, and Vasca Aquarium supplies. Since I didn't go in these stores I can provide no thoughts on them in any way.

This link is my source map on all the stores and what I found in the Valley
Map to stores in the Phoenix area
I'm in Surprise Farms near Greenway and Cotton, where are you located in Surprise?

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too far at all. Big day for you today. Tank gets delivered, correct? If you need any help with anything, I'm happy to pitch in. Also, if you ever want to come over and see my setup, let me know, I'm always happy to have guests and talk reefs!

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too far at all. Big day for you today. Tank gets delivered, correct? If you need any help with anything, I'm happy to pitch in. Also, if you ever want to come over and see my setup, let me know, I'm always happy to have guests and talk reefs!
Thanks for the offer, I might just have to take you up on it. I have been reading your Tank build thread. Very nice indeed. Right now I am a little overwhelmed with some items. I just need to get things up and cycling. Also I am looking to get a QT up and running soon too. Ideally I can get it cycling about the same time.

I have been torn on going bare bottom or a little sand. I gotta figure that issue out soon.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer, I might just have to take you up on it. I have been reading your Tank build thread. Very nice indeed. Right now I am a little overwhelmed with some items. I just need to get things up and cycling. Also I am looking to get a QT up and running soon too. Ideally I can get it cycling about the same time.

I have been torn on going bare bottom or a little sand. I gotta figure that issue out soon.
I've done both BB and sand, and I always seems to gravitate towards sand. I am now addicted to wrasses so it's a requirement for me. Unfortunately my Diamond Goby jumped through the feeding door which I accidentally left open yesterday, so now I need to get a new janitor to keep the sand clean...

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you can't continue to invite people over to see your tank and system! They'll go home and contemplate pouring bleach in theirs like Jimmy!!:eek::). Lol just kidding (disclaimer - no tanks were harmed in the making of this joke).
Seriously though @AZMSGT don't waste any time getting over to see Bill's setup, it's incredible!;)

As for LFS here, I'm completely bored with all of them - some are better - some are worse. I'm not sure if it's the Indo Ban, or something else, but the quality of corals has not been very good in quite a while. I've resorted to online or hobbyist purchases only.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, I was wondering why my ears were ringing!! I've been wanting to make a visit to Bill's house to see the progression. In all honesty, I never thought that I would fall for the, "keeping up with the Jones'" but Bill has set the mark for me. Truly breathtaking reef.

And if you're ever in Mesa, you should make it a point to see TMB's set up. He has a big 300g that is a bit more established. Not that I'm inviting you, but I'm sure he wont mind you making a visit.

Unfortunately, I agree with Tom about the LFS, I try to support them as best I can, but at the same time it's hard when you know you can get things cheaper and in a timely manner when ordering online. The only one that I frequent is Deep Blue, and that's because of the location and friendly atmosphere.

As for me I have to get back to, "keeping up with the Bramucci's"!

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, you guys make me blush... Thank you for the kind words. I still need to get over to Tom's and see his setup. If you want to see some amazing DIY and engineering, see if Jimmy will let you stop by. I've never met anyone who can do so many things, and his tank will be spectacular as it grows in.

Regarding the LFS, I go to Kona (formerly Studio Blue) on occasion and have also been to Deep Blue, but like Jimmy and Tom, I also find that in order to meet my needs, I often have to go online.

Nice to see more "West side" reefers popping up!

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a West Side reefer. I'm not sure what area to call myself. I hate to use northeast, only because that's where I'm originally from. Please don't hold that against me. Well, I've been to Bill's place. All I can say is Wow. It did inspire me to get my rock work in my 250 gallon finished, so it was worth the 1 hour drive. If Bill is sending out an invite, then go. Jimmy's setup is coming along and he's done a lot of cool projects for his tank/fish room. If anyone is going to be in the North Scottsdale/Carefree area, I'd be happy to give you a tour of my tanks & equipment setup.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a West Side reefer. I'm not sure what area to call myself. I hate to use northeast, only because that's where I'm originally from. Please don't hold that against me. Well, I've been to Bill's place. All I can say is Wow. It did inspire me to get my rock work in my 250 gallon finished, so it was worth the 1 hour drive. If Bill is sending out an invite, then go. Jimmy's setup is coming along and he's done a lot of cool projects for his tank/fish room. If anyone is going to be in the North Scottsdale/Carefree area, I'd be happy to give you a tour of my tanks & equipment setup.
I definitely need to make it to your place too Ken.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken,
Not too many people build their house around their tanks like you did. That's "taking it to the next level"

Ken literally ran pipes throughout his house before they laid the foundation so that he can have a centralized fish room (with a built into the ground sump) making it so he can have 2 tanks in different parts of the house. His fish room is bigger than my daughters room.

I guess the point is, there are a lot of serious reefers that were drawn (for some reason or another) to Phoenix AZ and I for one hope to see the community grow into a tight nit family.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken,
Not too many people build their house around their tanks like you did. That's "taking it to the next level"

Ken literally ran pipes throughout his house before they laid the foundation so that he can have a centralized fish room (with a built into the ground sump) making it so he can have 2 tanks in different parts of the house. His fish room is bigger than my daughters room.

I guess the point is, there are a lot of serious reefers that were drawn (for some reason or another) to Phoenix AZ and I for one hope to see the community grow into a tight nit family.

I am truely blessed that my beautiful wife of 33+ years allows me my obsession. I did agree to just 2 tanks in the main part of the house. What goes in the fish room she doesn't care about. The hard part is over, all the planning and installation work. Now comes the fun part, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Lol. Time to start adding fish and corals. I'd be happy to take those frags that people want to get rid of.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retired Navy huh? I'm retired AF, my last 5 years was on a Seabee base. Went through the Chief induction and all... that was a grueling 6 weeks. It was hard to succumb to the way the Navy did things but I grinned and beard it towards the end I wasn't looking forward to retirement.

Softee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from the West valley and in the past month visited all the stores in the valley, from east to west.

I am New to saltwater but have been doing freshwater for awhile now.

Finish my Oceanic bowfront 175, and am looking for nice quality fish as well as corals. So I too did this venture.
Kona reef is Top class for fish and corals, as far as the Big fish stores go, better stores in the tempe,mesa areas.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from the West valley and in the past month visited all the stores in the valley, from east to west.

I am New to saltwater but have been doing freshwater for awhile now.

Finish my Oceanic bowfront 175, and am looking for nice quality fish as well as corals. So I too did this venture.
Kona reef is Top class for fish and corals, as far as the Big fish stores go, better stores in the tempe,mesa areas.
Join AZ FRAG -- you learn a lot just by attending the meetings and listening. They take the summer off but there are some rumors out there about an outing of some sort.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back