Severe Case Of Ich?

Cameron80288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon Fish only with live rock. I have about a 9 gallon sump space a protene skimmer. About a 2 inch sand bed and 50 Pounds of live rock. Ph: 8.3, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 10, Ammonia: 0. The tank is two years old and I have never seen this problem with this tank, or any tank I've owned for that matter. But every time I get a new fish It will last about 15-30 days and then will turn all pale and sometimes just straight up white in color, and then it will start to form Ich on its body about the same day it turned pale. I have owned this tank for 2 years and this is the only time this is happened, this has been going on for about almost 2 months now. I do regular matinence. The only thing I can recall is that I moved houses about 3 months ago, but I cant see that making a difference because that was 3 months ago. The tank is far from overstocked as well, fish include: Pink Smith Damsel 2, Blue devil Damsel 1, Sargent Major 1, Aptasia Eating Filefish, Pink Spotted Prawn Goby, Falco Hawkfish, and a Zebra Banded DartFish. Could anyone give me a reason or some advice for why my fish keep dying? Anything is appreciated.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see them from here but what do you normally feed your fish?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not suitable foods for those or almost any fish but that did not directly cause their deaths.
The Mysis are kind of OK but those fish really can't even see copepods and brine shrimp are one of the worst foods.
Of course now at this stage you will have to cure the fish.

I am sure you know how to cure ich at this stage and after you cure them, I would start feeding something like LRS frozen foods and if you can get them, live white or black worms.

Now your fish have little immunity to anything, if they did, they wouldn't have ich.
Very hard to give advice without seeing them but their diet is not suitable to keep up their immune system.

If the fish are still eating, I would start feeding those foods.
If you have a diatom filter, which I doubt you have, I would use it as that would remove any free swimming parasites.
I am not big on using copper unless the fish are really in bad shape but you may have to.
Do you have any fish that are not sick?

OP
OP
Cameron80288

Cameron80288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not suitable foods for those or almost any fish but that did not directly cause their deaths.
The Mysis are kind of OK but those fish really can't even see copepods and brine shrimp are one of the worst foods.

I am sure you know how to cure ich at this stage and after you cure them, I would start feeding something like LRS frozen foods and if you can get them, live white or black worms.

Now your fish have little immunity to anything, if they did, they wouldn't have ich.
Very hard to give advice without seeing them but their diet is not suitable to keep up their immune system.

If you have a diatom filter, which I doubt you have, I would use it as that would remove any free swimming parasites.
I am not big on using copper unless the fish are really in bad shape but you may have to.

Thanks for telling me. I thought brine shrimp was a good food for these fish. But now I know the good food to feed them. Also most of the fish in the tank aren’t sick.

OP
OP
Cameron80288

Cameron80288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also could you give me a list of good foods I could feed my fish? That’s would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Cameron80288

Cameron80288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some attached photos of my fish. I thought this might help because you mentioned not being able to see them. Could you list some good foods as well? I’m still new to the hobby so this is why I didn’t know this.

9874E21A-86BB-4AF4-B62E-DFF709EB40D9.jpeg 7216A255-DD7B-4F71-ACE8-125368A0E840.png F1550126-5246-4A44-B8EF-A7633A1D5788.jpeg F3DFAAAC-6F8C-4DC8-B564-75AADA026C63.jpeg 89964D4A-81A9-49D6-81A6-78E04B120DF2.jpeg B4FC3C4C-75AB-4F4B-8B1D-4EB9B7473763.jpeg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish will not eat pods or live on brine shrimp. Get some LRS Fish Frenzy and I don't know where you live but if you can get live clams and freeze them yourself that would be excellent. After freezing, slice off paper thin slices.
The best thing you could feed and I feel very strongly your fish will never get sick if you do (and I have some 30 year old fish that have never been sick) is live whiteworms.

If people fed these a few times a week there would be no need for disease forums.
Google "White Worm culture" You get a small amount of worms. Put them in damp potting soil and feed them dry cat food that you spray some water on. You can also feed bread with yogurt on.
Your fish have been infected which is good. Their immune system will make antibodies to ich if you feed them correctly. Live worms or clams will do that.

Here is a close up of the worms.

They grow very fast and in a month you will have enough to feed. Those fish will love them

I have those gobies and they spawn constantly. Here they are with their eggs last week.

I also have that Hawkfish and he is spawning. Spawning means the fish is the healthiest it can be and live worms will do that.
Most people don't realize this. Of course it takes more than worms but it is a good start.

OP
OP
Cameron80288

Cameron80288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish will not eat pods or live on brine shrimp. Get some LRS Fish Frenzy and I don't know where you live but if you can get live clams and freeze them yourself that would be excellent. After freezing, slice off paper thin slices.
The best thing you could feed and I feel very strongly your fish will never get sick if you do (and I have some 30 year old fish that have never been sick) is live whiteworms.

If people fed these a few times a week there would be no need for disease forums.
Google "White Worm culture" You get a small amount of worms. Put them in damp potting soil and feed them dry cat food that you spray some water on. You can also feed bread with yogurt on.
Your fish have been infected which is good. Their immune system will make antibodies to ich if you feed them correctly. Live worms or clams will do that.

Here is a close up of the worms.

They grow very fast and in a month you will have enough to feed. Those fish will love them

I have those gobies and they spawn constantly. Here they are with their eggs last week.

I also have that Hawkfish and he is spawning. Spawning means the fish is the healthiest it can be and live worms will do that.
Most people don't realize this. Of course it takes more than worms but it is a good start.

Thanks I will try that. I’m sorry for not being specific, I use copepods to entice finicky fish to eat. Did the pictures help at all?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they did. I am actually starting to write an article about the fact that there are so many fish diseases and there should not be. And why my fish, in over 40 years have never been sick.

I hope to finish it in a few days and it should also help your fish.

OP
OP
Cameron80288

Cameron80288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they did. I am actually starting to write an article about the fact that there are so many fish diseases and there should not be. And why my fish, in over 40 years have never been sick.

I hope to finish it in a few days and it should also help your fish.

That’s nice, I think it will help. I picked up some LRS food and I am also working on getting some white worms as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some attached photos of my fish. I thought this might help because you mentioned not being able to see them. Could you list some good foods as well? I’m still new to the hobby so this is why I didn’t know this.

9874E21A-86BB-4AF4-B62E-DFF709EB40D9.jpeg 7216A255-DD7B-4F71-ACE8-125368A0E840.png F1550126-5246-4A44-B8EF-A7633A1D5788.jpeg F3DFAAAC-6F8C-4DC8-B564-75AADA026C63.jpeg 89964D4A-81A9-49D6-81A6-78E04B120DF2.jpeg B4FC3C4C-75AB-4F4B-8B1D-4EB9B7473763.jpeg

I don't see any Ich on any of those fishes. Those pictured are all very hardy, and even pretty disease resistant.

So, it seems like all your veteran fishes are fine, but when you add new ones, they get sick and die? What species have you tried?

If you have disease in your display, you have some options. You will have to practice what some folks call ich management.

Edit: Something I should have mentioned...those damsels will be pretty hard on new inhabitants, so that *can* compound disease problems.

OP
OP
Cameron80288

Cameron80288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any Ich on any of those fishes. Those pictured are all very hardy, and even pretty disease resistant.

So, it seems like all your veteran fishes are fine, but when you add new ones, they get sick and die? What species have you tried?

If you have disease in your display, you have some options. You will have to practice what some folks call ich management.

Edit: Something I should have mentioned...those damsels will be pretty hard on new inhabitants, so that *can* compound disease problems.

I have tried a 4” sunset butterfly, golden anthies, clown goby ( I didn’t have high hopes), and that’s it for new fish. Some of my veterin fish have died as well, fish are: valantini Puffer.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back