Sexing Banggai Cardinal

Zakary2003

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2023
Messages
603
Reaction score
289
Location
Jacksonville
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of young banggai cardinals three days ago, but one of them died suddenly. It got sucked into a powerhead and beaten up (idk if it was postmortem or perimortem), so I can't tell if it was the male or the female of the pair. The store sexed them for me, so I'm not even sure if they were opposite sexed, but I was hoping the brilliant minds of reef2reef could help me determine the sex of the one that remains so I can try my best to get an opposite sexed replacement. I know it's hard to tell as juvies, but I took a lot of pictures so hopefully at least one will be clear enough.

If I can't sex this one, should I try getting an unsexed fish and hoping it's the right sex, should I get a pair and have a trio until two pair up and rehome the third wheel, or should I take the healthy one back and see if they can give me a new pair of cardinals?

I was really looking forward to potentially breeding banggais because I came from the freshwater world where live bearers and mouth brooders are common and raising fish is super easy, and I miss that in my reef tank.
20240805_001005.jpg
20240805_000949.jpg
20240805_000948.jpg
20240805_000941.jpg
20240805_000938.jpg
20240805_000904.jpg
20240805_001005.jpg
20240805_000949.jpg
20240805_000948.jpg
20240805_000941.jpg
20240805_000938.jpg
20240805_000904.jpg
20240805_000850.jpg
20240805_000843.jpg
20240805_000840.jpg
20240805_000836.jpg
20240805_002047.jpg
20240805_002136.jpg
20240805_002159.jpg
20240805_002203.jpg
20240805_002221.jpg
 
If you put it upside down in a net it is possible to see the genital papill just in the front side of the anus.
There are pictures somewhere on cichlid forums that describes it much better than text.
 
when you give the bangaii a lot of food at once it could show 2 black openings on underside if a female. Male will only have one. Not bulletproof. Some ppl reckon they can tell by the jaw, males being bulkier.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new