Sexing Carberryi anthias help

  • Thread starter Thread starter seafansar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

seafansar

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
949
Reaction score
73
Location
DeLand, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just bought 5 Carberryi anthias (Nemanthias carberryi) and am afraid I have 3 males and 2 females. The one's I think are females are more orange than the other three and smaller.

Is there any good way to tell males from females?
 
Anyone? They are all sitting in a bucket together. I'm afraid to put them in.

Has anyone put more than one male together? Do they really fight to the death? :(
 
Thanks! I put them all in the tank. I'm hoping they are all females, cause in the tank they all look about the same. I'll try to take some pictures once they calm down. So far they are schooling nicely.
 
you should be fine, depending on your tank size, if you have a big enough tank they might end up splitting one half of the tank.
 
you should be fine, depending on your tank size, if you have a big enough tank they might end up splitting one half of the tank.

Thanks. They are all in my 150 right now. They all seem to get along just fine. There are two that I think are challenging each other to become male. I think they are all female from the pictures of males that I've seen. I can't wait for one to change! The males are really pretty, mainly purple and yellow instead of mostly orange.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new