Sexing Emperor Cardinalfish

Kingy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought supposedly 2 males and 1 female Cardinalfish (attached images below), however im a little less convinced and would like a second opinion if thats at all possible.

Male
84A0188C-046C-4E99-B9AD-7FB014539F1D.jpeg

Male
36868172-2B81-4576-9904-63CB3C83B294.jpeg

Female
AFFD798E-C108-4E3D-813A-EAEC95577C30.jpeg

Any help would be appreciated :)

OP
OP
K

Kingy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably find more and get more responses if you called them by their (internationally) more commonly used name "Banggai Cardinal".

Possibly, can’t find an edit button. My bad its the name that was on the tag when i bought them, just presumed they were called the same elsewhere.

Also i just found a nice post on the forum which explains how to find the gender. I think mine are slightly too young to find out easily.

Last edited:

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Banggai Cardinals … purchased a trio a few years back … did end up with a mated pair but the dynamic duo ended up killing the third before I could get him/her out … so might want to have a plan for a quick evacuation of an odd one if a "pair" develops.

OP
OP
K

Kingy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Banggai Cardinals … purchased a trio a few years back … did end up with a mated pair but the dynamic duo ended up killing the third before I could get him/her out … so might want to have a plan for a quick evacuation of an odd one if a "pair" develops.

Initially i had 2, however i did get a bit worried if they were both male that they would fight, so i got another one. I do plan to have another 2 in there at some point whenever i can get my hands on them from a LFS. I’ll keep an eye out though.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, can’t find an edit button. My bad its the name that was on the tag when i bought them, just presumed they were called the same elsewhere.

Also i just found a nice post on the forum which explains how to find the gender. I think mine are slightly too young to find out easily.
When I googled for "Emperor Cardinal" only UK websites were calling it by that name. Everywhere else it's Banggai Cardinal.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately the key picture links are gone (when do people learn to include copies of pictures into such articles instead of linking them in from places that may delete them at any given time...)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back