OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test new saltwater when opening a new bucket. I've had reef crystals have phosphates already. The live rock was not removed. Only source for phosphates.
What's type of water do you use

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna low range phosphate tester. Highest it goes is 2.5. I previously had fish die that was at the LFS for over a month. I QT all my fish in a cycled tank, it is kept running with live rock, to observe for any scratching or flashing. I only add meds if they show signs of disease. Havent had to add meds in over 2 years. And it sits for months just running without any fish. I do a large water change before adding new fish. Fish was eating like pigs for a couple of weeks, then they hide in the shadows and die after not eat for a day or two. This happen 3 times with fish that I watched at LFS that was there for weeks with no signs of disease. They were eating like pigs when I brought them. I always ask to see fish eat before purchasing them. After the last time it happen, I did a 100 percent water change and phosphates was still over 2.5. So I'm thinking very high phosphates was leaching out of the rock and killing them. The fish I treated did acted the same way. Basing my previous post on my experiences.
You still need to be SO high before phosphates become toxic, and in order for that to happen it would Need to happen right away. Not gradually which doesn't sound natural.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still need to be SO high before phosphates become toxic, and in order for that to happen it would Need to happen right away. Not gradually which doesn't sound natural.
I fully agree with that.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt is ready Salinity is matched 1.025 temp 77 approx 25 lbs of rocks mave pump is running all looks good. Hope I don't have to pull fish.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt is ready Salinity is matched 1.025 temp 77 approx 25 lbs of rocks mave pump is running all looks good. Hope I don't have to pull fish.
I usually throw an additional half sheet of nori and an extra cube a day on the clip if they are showing spots.

Fat fish very rarely die from ick... #Bodypositivity

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just in... I'm safe.
Baseball Jump GIF by SB Nation

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it will remain a mystery why fish died in observation. No meds. It happen 3 different times. I decided to break down QT tank, cleaned with bleach. I'll set it back up when I get an itch to spend money. Lol

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news man!
My little clown would show spots everytime it got stressed for a few months after I introduced it to tank. Haven't seen any signs of ick for over a year now. I don't know anything about fish disease but from what ive seen with ick its not scary. More like a common cold kind of thing.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain't nothing wrong with that.

I'm an advocate of medication when needed. Trust your gut. Check copper no less frequent than every other day. Weird **** can happen.
I have about 25 lbs of rock, a container of sand. One rock from dt tank. Tomorrow I will clean clean filter and the sponges will also be placed in the qt tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back