Shadowing in tank

Philsreefjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone , so got a new tank set up with a red sea reefer 170 using aquaroche tower I love the shape of it and that but since having now turned my ai prime 16hd on I'm noticing alot of shading under the front edge , will this be a problem on my coral growth didn't give it any thoughts before turning lights on

IMG20211023124016.jpg IMG20211024122912.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every system with aquascaping I know of has some shadowing and there will be adddtional intensity drops with depth of water. How much of an issue it is depends on the particular species/genotype and the intensity at the specific location you want to place it.

My thoughts on what I see in the pictures you posted; Seems you could push the whole "island" back a couple inches to reduce the shading that seems to be concerning you. Second, it looks like you've set up your system with dry rock and I'd strongly encourage you to get some maricultured live rock (or wild if you can find it) to introduce the spoonges that are essential for a reef ecosystem and will greatly accelerate the maturiong process. Here's some links:

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

OP
OP
P

Philsreefjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for that interesting read , il planning on frogspawn and Duncan's torches and hammers coral wise

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back