Shaggy's Waterbox Reef 100.3 +Plus Build

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo Good tip. I'll order now. I stuck some carbon in to see if that helps. Doors will go on tomorrow. Can you point me in the direction of those pads. I dont want to get the wrong ones!

No problem! I use these:

They are super cheap and you can just cut a section, I usually roll it into a cylinder type shape and shove it in the sock/plastic basket. You'll only want to use this when the water is cloudy or after a water change, because it will clog quick (24-36 hours) because of how dense it is. You can also pick up the 100 micron version to use for longer periods of time (will last about a week). I prefer to use these over the socks (I replaced my socks with those plastic bucket things with the strainer holes at the bottom and have the micron pads in there).

You'll notice a much quieter system once the doors are on.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! I use these:

They are super cheap and you can just cut a section, I usually roll it into a cylinder type shape and shove it in the sock/plastic basket. You'll only want to use this when the water is cloudy or after a water change, because it will clog quick (24-36 hours) because of how dense it is. You can also pick up the 100 micron version to use for longer periods of time (will last about a week). I prefer to use these over the socks (I replaced my socks with those plastic bucket things with the strainer holes at the bottom and have the micron pads in there).

You'll notice a much quieter system once the doors are on.
Got it! Thank you! So put this inside the current filter sock? Or no?

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! So the doors are on. I cleared up a lot of the mess that was in the dining room area much to the happiness of my wife! I still have to sort the cables out and re-do the lights as I left too much cable hanging. That can wait though at least another few weeks until the cycle has finished. So I have time.

The rock is hopefully getting delivered on Friday. I left it late telling them today and I have not heard back. Hopefully I will get a mail tomorrow.

Now the doors. The left one looks perfect. The right one, not so much. I am hoping I can play with the little adjust mean screws on the hinges to make it right? Please Please tell me I can because it freaking me out! If you have any advice on that I would love to hear it. I am really bad at putting anything together, so don't want to mess anything up.

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty then! The rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater is here. It's amazing! I should have ordered more! I have some some Caribsea Shapes coming and I may get a couple a few more bits a a LFS tomorrow. But.....It's in and the cycle has begun. Let me know what you think! Few cool hitchhikers too!

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

DSC03840.jpg

What's that? Diagonally right and down from the Algae.

DSC03827.jpg

DSC03828.jpg

DSC03829.jpg

DSC03830.jpg

DSC03833.jpg

DSC03834.jpg

DSC03836.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

DSC03839.jpg

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i am an idiot! Apparently this rock was only half the shipment. The next half comes when the tank is cycled along with the clean up crew! Doh! But im
Happy :)

I did order one box of Caribsea Shapes which I will still use. That will help me with the scape.

Last edited:

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i am an idiot! Apparently this rock was only half the shipment. The next half comes when the tank is cycled along with the clean up crew! Doh! But im
Happy :)

I did order one box of Caribsea Shapes which I will still use. That will help me with the scape.
So....your making us wait even longer to see the final aquascape? Your such a tease...lol

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....your making us wait even longer to see the final aquascape? Your such a tease...lol
Hah, yes. Once the tank has cycled with this first rock , I’ll scape one side. Then the Caribsea stuff will arrive and I’ll make some thing with that and work the new live rock around it!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back