OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I would leave the lights on; it's good to try and keep what made the trip from FL alive in your tank; I would also recommend giving the rocks a quick "scrub" with a toothbrush if you see any obvious large patches of die off (sponges usually don't make the trip, you'll see dead ones show up as white and come off easy with a soft scrub with a toothbrush). Good luck!
Thanks again!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is awesome. That’s all you need to know :)

9B667646-4693-4024-BDCB-F725BDA74C5F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok stand by in the ID thread for another post. The “I am Not interested in this tank wife” took a picture today of something in the glass. She never takes pictures of anything, in fact this is the first picture in her phone in 5 years!!

In other news, the wife no longer calls me a pirate and makes the “Yarr” noise every time I do a salinity test! Great news right? Nope. She now asks me when the due date is for my baby! See below :)

56FEDB09-119B-44F6-A572-BDA52DD741DE.jpeg

Last edited:

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally turn the lights off during cycling phase. Lights will cause diatoms blooms followed by alage.

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. I’m trying to get this to fire up :) thought the lights might give me a boost.
nope lights will not help. Infact you will have to brush off those alage. I would recommend to turn it off. Let the nature do its magic :)

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW have you though about livestock (fish and corals) and where are you going to get them from? Now is a good time to build your QT/Hospital tank :)

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW have you though about livestock (fish and corals) and where are you going to get them from? Now is a good time to build your QT/Hospital tank :)

This is what I have on the list:

2 Clowns, maybe one Picasso and one of the real Dark ones.
1 Purple Tang
1 Blue Cheeked Goby (I think they are called something else here in the US? Gold headed or something)
1 Angel Fish of some kind. Need to be careful of Coral, but Golden Angel or Lemon Peel
Some (not sure how many) Chromis or Wreck Fish
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Cleaner Shrimps
1 Blood Red Shrimp

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope lights will not help. Infact you will have to brush off those alage. I would recommend to turn it off. Let the nature do its magic :)

This is incorrect advice; no light during cycles is appropriate for a dry rock setup, but because this rock is live rock that was shipped wet, no light is just going to lead to even more die off from the rock in the tank. It is better to add a clean up crew to work on any algae that starts to show on the rock, rather than robbing the organisms of light that are there now.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia will likely bounce around from day to day as you have nitrifying bacteria on the live rock that will consume some of the ammonia, but you will experience die off on the rock as well. I predict you will have a pretty quick cycle given the condition of the rock you received. Good luck!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Buddy, you have been super helpful so thanks! I did see some white sponge die off. You say I should tooth brush that straight into the tank? Or remove? and brush?

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incorrect advice; no light during cycles is appropriate for a dry rock setup, but because this rock is live rock that was shipped wet, no light is just going to lead to even more die off from the rock in the tank. It is better to add a clean up crew to work on any algae that starts to show on the rock, rather than robbing the organisms of light that are there now.
My bad I didn't realized live rock. I get so confused between Live Rock and Life Rock (carib sea)

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Buddy, you have been super helpful so thanks! I did see some white sponge die off. You say I should tooth brush that straight into the tank? Or remove? and brush?

Remove from the tank, have a bucket with some saltwater in it (preferably from tank), take out rock, give quick scrub in bucket, quick rinse (with saltwater) and back into the tank. Discard water in bucket, replace what you took out of aquarium with fresh mixed saltwater. You will likely see a little die off for the first two-three weeks, after that, anything that will die from live rock transport will have died, and you should be good to go after that. If you miss a couple of dead sponges/organisms here or there, no worries, your nitrifying bacteria and clean up crew will take care of it over time.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my SG is at 1023 - I really wanted that at 1025. What's the best way to start raising that? Should I do it as part of my first water change? Or could I add small amounts to the sump? and if so what's a small amount?

Last edited:

Schweezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gradually raise it over the course of many water changes. I’d mix up a slightly higher SG over 2-3 changes. Also, you can remove a little less than you put in and let evap do the trick. You just need an effective way to measure (probe or refractometer).

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my SG is at 1023 - I really wanted that at 1025. What's the best way to start raising that? Should I do it as part of my first water change? Or could I add small amounts to the sump? and if so what's a small amount?

I raised my salinity by putting salt water in my ATO. i Think it took less than 2 weeks.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back