Shaggy's Waterbox Reef 100.3 +Plus Build

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome rock! Parameters are in line with what you would expect with newly shipped rock as some die off will occur.

Make sure skimmer is running well and let the rock settle. Keep an eye out for any dead or dying organisms on rock and remove if any are identified (usually will be white/slimy looking). Good luck!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome rock! Parameters are in line with what you would expect with newly shipped rock as some die off will occur.

Make sure skimmer is running well and let the rock settle. Keep an eye out for any dead or dying organisms on rock and remove if any are identified (usually will be white/slimy looking). Good luck!
Thanks! Yes the Skimmer is running. Maybe not perfectly yet but its pulling stuff out!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here we a where we are with parameters.

Ammonia 0.2 (maybe 0.3) no change
Nitrates 5.0 no change
Nitrites 0.1 down from 0.2 yesterday and 0.4 3 days ago

Any advice would be welcome. I have not fed, nor done a water change. Livestock doing well.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is what I have today.

Ammonia 0.2 nchange
Nitrate 5.0 no change
Nitrite 0.1 no change
  • Still no water change.
  • I still can’t get this skimmer dialed in which I know will help!
Let me know if you have any advice

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a water change to get the ammonia to 0.

I disagree. I would let it run it's course. I don't think you are doing yourself or your tank any favors, by changing water mid cycle to basically "fudge" the numbers. This would of course depend on which test kit the OP is using. API is notorious for showing 0.25 ammonia when it is at 0.

Even then, I would add more ammonia (to 2ppm) and see if it is reduced in 24 hrs. Once the system is capable of going from 2ppm to 0 in 24 hrs, your tank is cycled.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can laways do a water change, then add ammonia to 2ppm and see where it is at in 24 hours. IMO, this is the best test to see if a tank is cycled, (but I have a feeling I am preaching to the choir). :p

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah at the mo I think I’m gonna leave it. Unless the Nitrates go to 10, then I’ll do a change . But I will obviously take advice from you guys that are more experienced!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I would let it run it's course. I don't think you are doing yourself or your tank any favors, by changing water mid cycle to basically "fudge" the numbers. This would of course depend on which test kit the OP is using. API is notorious for showing 0.25 ammonia when it is at 0.

Even then, I would add more ammonia (to 2ppm) and see if it is reduced in 24 hrs. Once the system is capable of going from 2ppm to 0 in 24 hrs, your tank is cycled.
I usually would agree fully. I only suggested a water change because there is already a fish in the tank.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually would agree fully. I only suggested a water change because there is already a fish in the tank.

Sorry, I must have skipped that info some how. That changes things, good call. In that case, I agree that a water change is in order. Ammonia in ANY amount is harmful to our little finned friends.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this is allowed on r2r, but I saw that you live in the Nashville area, so I thought I would suggest the aquatic critter if you need an lfs. They have really good customer service, they have healthy fish, and their employees are very knowledgeable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back