Shall I add start adding coral(s)?

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !
About a month ago I had a large problem with nutrients and by large I mean 100+ NO3 and PO4 over 0.90
Since then I reduced PO4 to 0,01-0,05 but NO3 is between 50 and 100 (no signs of high nitrates, simply test kits show that it is high).
So the question is shall I start adding corals ? I'm interested in adding durable soft/lps corals like Acan./Micro. Lordhowensis, rhodactis, zoas, plate fungia or a cheap cynarina.(only 1 of them)
( I already have tree corals, a ricordea, some palythoa and 2 discosomas - none of them show signs of nitrate issue)
I heard that some people keep reefs with such nutrients, that's why I'm asking.

WavyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Katze, Though some reefers have had success with high nitrate levels, I'd continue to lower them in your situation. Those numbers indicate that you are overfeeding or overloaded with fish and/or not keeping up with filtration or water changes. You stated that you noticed the problem at 100+ NO3 and now you are in between 50 and 100... That just means that you will get right back to 100 in no time. lower your nitrates to acceptable levels 5 - 10 ppm and try to maintain good filtration and water changes. Remember to reduce gradually or else it will impact your corals. also, those corals you've mentioned are pretty hardy, you probably wont notice anything wrong with them now but you will notice poor coloration and growth down the road. Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Katze, Though some reefers have had success with high nitrate levels, I'd continue to lower them in your situation. Those numbers indicate that you are overfeeding or overloaded with fish and/or not keeping up with filtration or water changes. You stated that you noticed the problem at 100+ NO3 and now you are in between 50 and 100... That just means that you will get right back to 100 in no time. lower your nitrates to acceptable levels 5 - 10 ppm and try to maintain good filtration and water changes. Remember to reduce gradually or else it will impact your corals. also, those corals you've mentioned are pretty hardy, you probably wont notice anything wrong with them now but you will notice poor coloration and growth down the road. Just my 2 cents :)
what would you recommend ? I'm dosing NOPOX but I had to stop in the last 2 days since phosphate was 0,01

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !
About a month ago I had a large problem with nutrients and by large I mean 100+ NO3 and PO4 over 0.90
Since then I reduced PO4 to 0,01-0,05 but NO3 is between 50 and 100 (no signs of high nitrates, simply test kits show that it is high).
So the question is shall I start adding corals ? I'm interested in adding durable soft/lps corals like Acan./Micro. Lordhowensis, rhodactis, zoas, plate fungia or a cheap cynarina.(only 1 of them)
( I already have tree corals, a ricordea, some palythoa and 2 discosomas - none of them show signs of nitrate issue)
I heard that some people keep reefs with such nutrients, that's why I'm asking.
You can get away with highish Nitrate on an established tank (not as high as you're stating though).

On a new tank I'd not put coral in until you are down to < 20 and stable.

You can get it down with a water change, but you need to keep it there
Stability is key

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You also need to identify why your nutrient level is so high and review your export process.
This. Technically you can add things if you have other similar corals doing fine, but not identifying the underlying issue could turn into more issues and put your investment into new corals at risk.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get away with highish Nitrate on an established tank (not as high as you're stating though).

On a new tank I'd not put coral in until you are down to < 20 and stable.

You can get it down with a water change, but you need to keep it there
Stability is key
It's actually 10 months old

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I post this when it comes to nutrients threads, this is probably the best video with diagrams of nutrient control that I've ever seen

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to identify why your nutrient level is so high and review your export process.
As for exports: ceramic filter media, very porous sponge, skimmer, filter sock, but half of the recommended live rock
For imports: 6 smaller fish (one of them is a zebrasoma)
+ dosing NOPOX

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for exports: ceramic filter media, very porous sponge, skimmer, filter sock, but half of the recommended live rock
For imports: 6 smaller fish (one of them is a zebrasoma)
+ dosing NOPOX
Since your tank is still fairly new and you have essential export in place moderate your feeding and continue weekly water changes. As you get more coral it will help balance nitrates. Frozen food raises nitrates. Pellets and flakes raise phosphate. I dose reef actif and PNS probio weekly to promote heterotrophic bacteria and break down organic waste before it becomes nitrates.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is still fairly new and you have essential export in place moderate your feeding and continue weekly water changes. As you get more coral it will help balance nitrates. Frozen food raises nitrates. Pellets and flakes raise phosphate. I dose reef actif and PNS probio weekly to promote heterotrophic bacteria and break down organic waste before it becomes nitrates.
Okay but I have a dragonet and an anthias and a clownfish they simply won't eat anything other than mysis/brine shrimp. I'll look into the probio method. "As you get more coral it will help balance nitrates" so which ones do you recommend?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay but I have a dragonet and an anthias and a clownfish they simply won't eat anything other than mysis/brine shrimp. I'll look into the probio method. "As you get more coral it will help balance nitrates" so which ones do you recommend?
I hear you, I only feed frozen too. I think it's healthier unless I'm gone for couple days then I auto feed pellets. I like goniopora, hammers, torches, frogspawn, different mushrooms, zoas, etc... get a couple rock flower anemones to fill in gaps in the rocks.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is just dependant on what you like. They essentially use the nitrates as nutrients to grow, think of it as coral fertilizer. I ran 0 nitrates and phosphates for a year with heavy feeding (coral foods as well) with the same export methods as you, but my tank is full of corals.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, I only feed frozen too. I think it's healthier unless I'm gone for couple days then I auto feed pellets. I like goniopora, hammers, torches, frogspawn, different mushrooms, zoas, etc... get a couple rock flower anemones to fill in gaps in the rocks.
Hey so I got a try on an euphyllia how long does it take for them to open up (100%) in a new environment ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I got a try on an euphyllia how long does it take for them to open up (100%) in a new environment ?
Well can be a day or two or even longer but euphyllia are not a beginner or new tank coral. They can be very finicky and difficult in new unstable systems. I would recommend zoas, mushrooms maybe a nice long tentacles toadstool. Hold off on the hammers and torches until you have good stability in your parameters.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well can be a day or two or even longer but euphyllia are not a beginner or new tank coral. They can be very finicky and difficult in new unstable systems. I would recommend zoas, mushrooms maybe a nice long tentacles toadstool. Hold off on the hammers and torches until you have good stability in your parameters.
well... my zoa isn't very happy (closed up) after my hermit crab messed with it and it won't open since 2 days (added 2days ago).

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... my zoa isn't very happy (closed up) after my hermit crab messed with it and it won't open since 2 days (added 2days ago).
My shrimp, urchins, snails, star fish, crabs, etc... walk on my zoas all the time and close them up. I figure the same thing happens in the ocean so I just roll with it.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrimp, urchins, snails, star fish, crabs, etc... walk on my zoas all the time and close them up. I figure the same thing happens in the ocean so I just roll with it.
So any ideas (too low phosphate, not enough flow)? I might start a thread If it won't open until the weekend.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back