Shared drain line for RODI and DOS

  • Thread starter Thread starter turbo2oh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

turbo2oh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
179
Reaction score
56
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my RODI wastewater line routed from my fish room, around a corner, and teed into a sink drain through the wall and tiling.

I’m planning to set up my Neptune DOS for automatic water changes, and rather than drill a second hole, route another line behind the baseboard, etc. I’m considering Teeing into the existing RODI drain line so both systems share the same drain line.

Has anyone done something similar?

My main concerns are:
  • Backflow into the RODI unit or the DOS
  • Accidentally running both simultaneously
Any best practices for preventing issues when sharing a drain line like this, or is it just a bad idea?
 
1745422451180.gif
 
I don't think it would be a problem. Maybe put a one-way check valve to prevent any backflow to the rodi system.
 
It could back flow. I agree a simple check valve would prevent that and it would be a perfectly reasonable option. I wouldn’t do it without a check valve though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new