Shark tank

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im debatting setting up a shark tank and have two cat sharks. Has anybody had experience with care and feeding and proper living conditions?

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on the size of the cat shark, you are going to need a pretty big tank. Take for example. a bamboo shark or banded cat shark can grow to 36" you would need at least a 400 gallon tank for that size fish. they are also extremely messy featers which means you will need a lot of filtration and a huge skimmer.

i made the mistake of helping a guy out who hatched a bamboo shark from an egg and it grew to its full length of 36" it was in a standard 180. i setup a aga 210 for it and it was way too small of a tank. after a few months he jumped out and died when i wasnt home.

here is a pic of that shark

Picture296.jpg

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend lookin to put a bamboo shark in a 180 and I told him along with others its a bad idea because he will outgrow his tank within acouple of months I know jarretshark in long island has 2 sharks in a 1000 gal tank and even that tank is too small for his sharks. Plus now he couldn't pay someone to take them no one wants them

OP
OP
Oceanslayer18

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on the size of the cat shark, you are going to need a pretty big tank. Take for example. a bamboo shark or banded cat shark can grow to 36" you would need at least a 400 gallon tank for that size fish. they are also extremely messy featers which means you will need a lot of filtration and a huge skimmer.

i made the mistake of helping a guy out who hatched a bamboo shark from an egg and it grew to its full length of 36" it was in a standard 180. i setup a aga 210 for it and it was way too small of a tank. after a few months he jumped out and died when i wasnt home.

here is a pic of that shark

Picture296.jpg

Awsome shark. I knew that they need big tanks. But It is really about the gallons? These sharks are bottom dwellers so do u guys think if it was in a long tank and wide instead of height that it would be ok?

xgame2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome shark. I knew that they need big tanks. But It is really about the gallons? These sharks are bottom dwellers so do u guys think if it was in a long tank and wide instead of height that it would be ok?

you are correct...it's not about how many gallons you have, its about room....long and wide, about 30" tall should be good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back