shark - wound - parasite?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could those be ammonia burns? Turns out the shark was shipped with ammonia levels already at .25 when bagged. Vendor said its fine for sharks to be in ammonia .25 to .35. I said it should be zero.

Ammonia is more damaging to the fish's gills. When you see water quality issues in sharks, it often shows as petechia - red spots.

Do you know what the ammonia was at the end of the shipment though? I agree 0.25 ppm isn't an issue for sharks short-term, but it could have been much higher by the end of the shipment if it took the typical 24 to 36 hours for shipping time.

Jay

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is more damaging to the fish's gills. When you see water quality issues in sharks, it often shows as petechia - red spots.

Do you know what the ammonia was at the end of the shipment though? I agree 0.25 ppm isn't an issue for sharks short-term, but it could have been much higher by the end of the shipment if it took the typical 24 to 36 hours for shipping time.

Jay
I didnt measure ammonia in the bag as I didn’t realize that could be the issue. All 3 sharks died within 2-3 days from this vendor with the same red spots

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries from me. He replaced those that died. I have received smoothhounds after those and everything is good. I am getting another one tomorrow from him.
He’s supposed to ship mine midweek. Can I ask how you acclimated. He’s telling me to float and release. I usually drip acclimate but he’s saying it’s more important to get them out of the shipping water ASAP.

I intended to order 3 from him. But not much info on this vendor so I’m starting with a small order.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s supposed to ship mine midweek. Can I ask how you acclimated. He’s telling me to float and release. I usually drip acclimate but he’s saying it’s more important to get them out of the shipping water ASAP.

I intended to order 3 from him. But not much info on this vendor so I’m starting with a small order.
I float the sealed bag for 30 mins and then release directly into my pond. We did these because of the ammonia levels. I measured the ammonia immediately after opening the bag and it was off the chart. I added a couple new videos to my album link.

Last edited by a moderator:

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float the sealed bag for 30 mins and then release directly into my pond. We did these because of the ammonia levels. I measured the ammonia immediately after opening the bag and it was off the chart. I added a couple new videos to my album link.
The ammonia off the charts is concerning. Hopefully he sends direct flight. As I’m 2hrs away from Orlando international.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back