Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, when you design a tank yourself, with all maintenance so easy, anything that’s not easy drives you mad, and those rear pumps are the top candidate, and their also noisy. I went down this morning and their rattling against the glass, although yes they just need adjusting. And that ridiculous rear downpipe valve at the back, why it’s not been replaced by a simple gate valve inside the cabinet I do not know!

As you can probably tell, I’m suffering from the post traumatic stress of cleaning them, or rather wasting my time cleaning them because they don’t work!! Lol

So the calcium reactor, these looked scary beasts as I’ve never used one. I wanted the best, and also one that’s simple to use and maintain. In my opinion the one that’s meets all criteria is the Twin Tech, simply because its fully automated with German build quality. When I took it out of the box, it’s like wow....

If I set it up again, it would be running in 5-10 minutes it’s that easy. Unfortunately they are expensive, but in your tank the 1500 version is plenty big enough as well.

And all you do to adjust the alkalinity etc., is press and up/down button to alter the flow, that’s it. It degasses itself automatically, you set the period (same as the amount dosed). It even has a little funnel on the top so you can just drop new media in without taking it to pieces.

There is also the first class support from DD The Aquarium solution who are the wholesalers and customer support, certainly for UK.

The other option is the Dastaco, or you can go down the basic non automated reactors which I didn’t even look at.

These videos are well worth watching the whole way through as there very informative

This video shows how to set it up

Beautiful system! I am about to bring my Deltec twin tech online. Curious what media you have been using and how maintenance with your reactor has been? Any challenges with pH in the system? I need to transition from the Red Sea Foundation elements to the calcium reactor and I am trying to anticipate issues I may encounter. I am interested to hear your experience. Thanks!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful system! I am about to bring my Deltec twin tech online. Curious what media you have been using and how maintenance with your reactor has been? Any challenges with pH in the system? I need to transition from the Red Sea Foundation elements to the calcium reactor and I am trying to anticipate issues I may encounter. I am interested to hear your experience. Thanks!
Thank you

I use Rowalith w, the chunky version below

This maintains the levels to the point I only test alkalinity once a week, and calcium and magnesium randomly every 3-4+ weeks. Because it’s made of skeletons it releases elements in a balanced way as it dissolves

The reactor itself has been fine, it’s fully automated but if you need any help with the set up just let me know. Once you get your head around it it’s very simple. You need a needle regulator to fine tune the amount of CO2 going in when the solenoid opens. Start with just a small amount and then adjust it.

As far as pH, I’ve had no issues, Infact on the picture below you can see the reactors working as the probes in the sump compartment near the output hose of the reactor which is handy as the pH in the immediate area drops when effluent is released.

Make sure you have the input pump ‘up stream’ and the effluent down stream. I had them in the same compartment, albeit very big, and over a period of months the effluent got into the flow counter and jammed it. This is a pain to clean as it doesn’t come apart, but this was my fault not the reactor.

Other than that, I cleaned the main chamber a few days ago for the first time as it was getting covered in something brown and I couldn’t see inside but that’s after around 1 1/2 years.

The feed pump failed after 13 months, but the suppliers sent me a replacement free of charge which was nice, and support from DD is first class. These are the boys with some of the worlds best tanks, including David Saxby, Tony Rogers (technical support) and Stuart Bertram.

EE53A77C-A2BF-416F-B41D-496089C6DD7E.jpeg

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

I use Rowalith w, the chunky version below

This maintains the levels to the point I only test alkalinity once a week, and calcium and magnesium randomly every 3-4+ weeks. Because it’s made of skeletons it releases elements in a balanced way as it dissolves

The reactor itself has been fine, it’s fully automated but if you need any help with the set up just let me know. Once you get your head around it it’s very simple. You need a needle regulator to fine tune the amount of CO2 going in when the solenoid opens. Start with just a small amount and then adjust it.

As far as pH, I’ve had no issues, Infact on the picture below you can see the reactors working as the probes in the sump compartment near the output hose of the reactor which is handy as the pH in the immediate area drops when effluent is released.

Make sure you have the input pump ‘up stream’ and the effluent down stream. I had them in the same compartment, albeit very big, and over a period of months the effluent got into the flow counter and jammed it. This is a pain to clean as it doesn’t come apart, but this was my fault not the reactor.

Other than that, I cleaned the main chamber a few days ago for the first time as it was getting covered in something brown and I couldn’t see inside but that’s after around 1 1/2 years.

The feed pump failed after 13 months, but the suppliers sent me a replacement free of charge which was nice, and support from DD is first class. These are the boys with some of the worlds best tanks, including David Saxby, Tony Rogers (technical support) and Stuart Bertram.

EE53A77C-A2BF-416F-B41D-496089C6DD7E.jpeg
Thank you that’s helpful to know. I had checked last year and wasn't able to find Rowalith in the US. I just checked again and was able to find it now through Deltec USA so I just ordered a couple bags.

Did you find the need to top off the media periodically or did you just change the media at 1.5 years? Also did you observe the media had disintegrated much or obstructed water flow? I am curious, as the pH in the system runs a little lower than some reactors and I was concerned this might be an issue with some finer media.

I have a dual stage pressure regulator for the CO2. The manual recommends a pressure of 1.5 to 2.0 bar. Did you find you needed to set it lower initially?

I appreciate the help. It's a beautiful piece of equipment and I purchased earlier than necessary, but excited to put it to work now!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to top of the media periodically, around every few months at a guess, not often, because it slowly dissolves but it doesn’t break down and block flow or anything.

If you didn’t top it up, it would just mean you would have to increase the out flow rate as there will be less media in the compartment

I ‘think‘ they recommend a chunkier media (like the chunky version of rowalith) so you don’t get a ‘sludge’ forming anywhere or the water ‘tracking’ in certain channels

You will need 2 bags to fill it for the first time so it might be worth ordering a few more ready for topping up. Wash it in water as well, I use tap, because it has dust on it. You might get a little cloudiness in the water when you first set it up, or when adding new media but it soon clears

The CO2 presssure is around 1.7 but there is then a needle valve and it’s set so the chamber slowly fills with gas when activated. Not a sudden rush, which I did when I first set it up as this will cause it to overfill the whole thing with gas and cause an air lock.

When you first use it, set the output flow at a low number and then just increase it slowly until alkalinity is stable we’re you want it. It’s easier to add more, than take away.

I just test alkalinity once a week in the big tank, and make minor adjustment as necessary but this is normally just up or down 1 or 2 points, if at all. I tend to keep it around 8-8-4 dKH and it’s very stable. The other elements pretty much stay were they should be because of the rowalith

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive braved the airports, the UK government’s constant dithering, and Im currently at my home in Spain

My wife wasnt bothered about coming, I think she thought she would be on cleaning duties as we haven’t been able to get out here for about 1 1/2 years because of some stupid ‘bug’, the lazy cow!

Anyway having spent the first day cleaning all the dust away, its now time for some sweet refreshment…

Oh and its flipping hot as well with a feels like temperature of around 41c. The British moan about weather whatever its doing!! Lol

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive braved the airports, the UK government’s constant dithering, and Im currently at my home in Spain

My wife wasnt bothered about coming, I think she thought she would be on cleaning duties as we haven’t been able to get out here for about 1 1/2 years because of some stupid ‘bug’, the lazy cow!

Anyway having spent the first day cleaning all the dust away, its now time for some sweet refreshment…

Oh and its flipping hot as well with a feels like temperature of around 41c. The British moan about weather whatever its doing!! Lol

Enjoy smacking expensive little white balls into the trees, water and sand! :)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy smacking expensive little white balls into the trees, water and sand! :)
Have you been watching me!! Lol

No its to hot for any of that golfing stuff!

Beach and pool. Have you ever seen the film Sexy Beast!! Lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy, we are in Spain as well for the holidays.
Well you’ll know how hot it is then!

Ill just have to keep drinking beer to keep cool! Lol

Im off to buy an electric grill today, sort of an indoor bbq without the mess, so hopefully something tasty for tee. I’m only here for a week but get fed up of eating out every night sometimes after consuming a belly full of ale!

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a happy reef!
It is a happy reef (I think!) Daniel

I haven’t added anything new for around 8 months now, I’ve just been letting it grow out a little

However I’m still an ‘addict’ and I can feel a trip to the LFS is well overdue! Lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is so big and beautiful, it looks like I’m actually in the ocean!! :eek:

A job well done sir. :)
Thank you James and thanks for stopping by

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back