Shazaams...anyone ever seen these?

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two years or a little less back, a local reefer showed off a wild collected polyp he picked up as Shazaams from someone else on the net...crazy looking polyp. At the time it kinda resembled some morph of Candy Apple Orange. Cool either way. Various drama ensued and they acted finicky and then proceeded to wander off in his tank and went MIA for months. He finally relocated them and put them in a cup for a while to ensure he didn't lose them again. They "took" this time and he managed to grow them out to a small number of polyps. During this whole time I was intrigued enough to search for them on the net, but to no avail; no references to a Shazaam paly (plenty of references to Gomer of course). Recently he finally had a few polyps to offer up, so I got a few for myself and a friend. They look a bit different now, but are still really nice, and I would have to say unique. So far they seem to be holding their colors in our tanks and I believe these are different from my CAO's and CAR's. Could change with time, but so far in his tanks and ours they do not look like my other Candy Apple varieties--could be another morph. Anyway, I was curious as to whether these Shazaams were picked up by anyone else and what their observations about them might be.

So far they are proving as hardy as any paly and they open up nice and big. They aren't the fastest grower though from his reports. They took over a year from when he rediscovered them to reach a point where he could offer a few single polyp frags. Not sure if this is in part due to their adventures in the tank. Here is a pic of a couple polyps. As you can see they show a resemblance to Candy Apples, but the green center is overlaid with a peach color which doesn't seem to be going away, so you can only see a thin rim of green around the peach before the red. The colors on the disc are also off compared to the CAR/CAO. The skirts are also all tipped in green quite noticeably, though I have seen this on a few CAR's. Definitely liking this variety.

shazaam_18924.jpg

This pic was taken under 2 Blue+, 1 10K, and 1 Fiji Purple.

Just to be clear, I have no polyps to offer, and he is not selling any more either as we are both growing ours out, so please no requests at this time. Just wanted to share this cool looking paly with everyone and possibly gain some more information. Enjoy!

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool do they grow into that color? only reason i ask it one in the background in green and yellow and hasnt developed the other colors yyet.

OP
OP
Nanofins

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green/yellow one in the background is a Sunny-D; totally different paly.:wink:

There are only two Shazaams in picture. These appear to have the colors from the start. I got a smaller polyp that was about half the size of the one in the front of the pic and it has the same colors/pattern as the adults. After having seen the main colony, I would say these seem to be reproducing in a consistent manner without variability in the polyps. It's not just a few rogue polyps or a temporary morph; they are growing and reproducing like this and have been in his tank for quite a while now.

Last edited:

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking polyp, but I am not sold yet on it not being a CA variety. The colors look too similar at this point to be sure. Let's see how they look in a few months :)

OP
OP
Nanofins

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not certain yet either. I originally told him they looked like a variant CAO's when they first came in and he share a pic. They definitely show similar characteristics to established CA varieties. Once they've been in my tanks for a while and I've had a chance to observe them reproducing under my lights, we'll have a better idea. Even if they stayed the same, I would still probably classify them as a Candy Apple variety, but then I would say the same of the Bowsers too. Candy Apples are some of the nicest palys in the hobby.

Still curious as to whether anyone else picked these up under said name and if they've had a chance to observe them for a longer period.

Do you think we've talked about them enough yet to start charging $300/polyp? :bigsmile::tongue:

Last edited:

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice looking Polyp.
3 Colored Skirt.

They look to be a Medium Sized Polyp ?

Nice Pick Up

OP
OP
Nanofins

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say medium sized is about right. I don't know if I would qualify the skirts as having 3 colors. Technically, I suppose, but I don't usually count black/brown towards the colors. Still, red and green stripes with black between ain't bad.

Last edited:

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great find... I'll keep an eye out for updates on how those colors hold.

lurchw00t

Wham Bam Shazaam!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little update on my frag(s). Both nanofins and I sourced these from the same person. Colors seem to be holding pretty well. Also seems to be a decent grower and takes very well to fragging.

I apologize in advance for the terrible quality, I haven't splurged on a new camera yet.

5382893617_d5fdf6425b_b.jpg

This one seems to show the color a bit better and gives me a chance to show off my japanese toadstool frag.

5382894395_bd7b9c0cf4_b.jpg

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Peter Griffin would say SHAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Very nice polyps, I think they would look awesome in my tank. :bigsmile:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back