Shine's Fluval SEA EVO

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, I was feeling the same about the skimmer..... I think I would get more out of another media basket with marine balls and filter pads.

Weekly 3 gallon Water Change is very doable

You absolutely would. I skipped the skimmer completely and use both inTank media baskets for chamber 1 & 2. While Marine Pure is excellent, there is an issue of it leeching aluminum. And having so much in such a small tank may cause problems later on. Seachem Matrix may be a better choice for this size tank if you decide to use the chamber 1 basket.

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I really love the way your rock work is done. I could use some pointers myself.
Thank You... I believe so much is "Luck"... just finding the correct rocks. Some of my rocks are on the glass, so I might have to adjust as time goes on

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely would. I skipped the skimmer completely and use both inTank media baskets for chamber 1 & 2. While Marine Pure is excellent, there is an issue of it leeching aluminum. And having so much in such a small tank may cause problems later on. Seachem Matrix may be a better choice for this size tank if you decide to use the chamber 1 basket.
Thanks and good to know about the Marine Pure. I added the first chamber basket to my Christmas list :)

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3871.JPG

I pulled the trigger on my clownfish. :) These guys and a new bubble tip anemone will be added tomorrow

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a few more changes today.....

I pulled out the Fluval Skimmer, just could not get it dialed in and from all the research, for a small tank I should be okay with just frequent water changes. Also my Turbelle Nanostream 6040 stopeed working :(.

I replaced the NanoStream with a simple Fluval Sea CP1 Circulation Pump

I replaced the skimmer with another inTank Media basket http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-Evo-12-135-Media-Basket-FL12MR.htm
Now I have a media baskets in chamber one and two. Not 100% sure what to keep in the baskets. Chamber 1 has Filter Foss on top, followed by Seachem Matrix Bio Media 250ml, finally 12 MarienePure balls in the bottom. The Middle chamber has Filter Floss on the bottom, Boyd Chemi-Pure Blue Nano in the middle and Purgen on the top. I am open to suggestion on the best way to utilize the 2 media baskets. Especially now that I have no protein skimmer

I am getting some of the nasty Brow/reddish algae now, I know it is part of the cycle, but it is not very nice. I have lost some of my cleanup crew. I think I ordered and put them in too soon. Now they have more than enough to eat and I only have a few left. I will try to get some more this weekend, open to suggestions. Please see pictures attached for the nasty stuff

I added SA Live Marine Copepods to the tank and the Middle chamber in the back, lets see if that does anything http://sustainableaquatics.com/parvocalanus-crassirostris-copepods/

I have been feeding about 8 tiny pellets twice a day... Might be too much?

I just completed a water change and did not match my temperature :( Everything is a little in shock. The fresh salt water was about 7 Degrees colder.

I did my first Spot Feeding last evening with Reef Roids :). I read that it is best to do the night before a water change

I am trying BRS's settings for the AI Prime. It is heavy blue, but I do like that. I have just added some corals so it is currently running in accumulation mode

I also Fraged my first Coral today. My Candy Cane was splitting just perfectly for a cut, so I tried it :) I am hoping all turns out well. As always, Thank You and I am open to suggestions, but other all having a blast

Light Settings.png
Tank 2.jpg
Tank 3.jpg
Tank 4.jpg
Tank 5.jpg
Tank 6.jpg
Tank 7.jpg
Tank 8.jpg
Thank 1.jpg

Light Settings.png

Last edited:

motownjc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both media baskets in my evp 13.5.
First one:
Top- filter floss
Middle- phosguard
Bottom- chemipure blue

Second chamber:
Top: filter floss
Middle- biomax
Bottom- Purigan

I am open to change it up if anyone knows a better way.

1509221933721219409411.jpg

cwphilli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about switching to one of the media baskets over the stock foam w/ biomax + carbon, what are the real advantages here?
Why run two of them?
I am also not running a protein skimmer, my levels are all ideal.

motownjc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media baskets force the water through them i stead of letting the water go around it. They seem to work way better from what i see.

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to email inTank directly and ask if they had any ideas for anyone interested in using 2 inTank Baskets. Steve responded very quickly with the following

"It's sure a lot of choices with two baskets. Sounds like you have it set up nicely. I would keep the chemical media in the 1st chamber basket. Use filter floss on top.
Although more floss never hurts, it's going to be a "pain" to remove the basket every time to change on the bottom shelf.
I would just use the floss on the top shelf of chamber 1 basket. Then use your bio media in the chamber two basket. Remove the shelf to make more room if you want."

With that I was thinking......
Chamber 1 - Filter Floss --> Seachem Phosguard --> chemipure blue ( I like his idea of keeping the stuff we need to change regularly in Chamber 1 (easier to get to the basket for me)
Chamber 2 - Either Carbon and or Purigan--> Seachem Matrix Bio Media 250ml --> MarienePure balls

I think I will do the changes tomorrow or Thursday before my next water change

I also have some more eye candy coming in tomorrow :)

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated my two media baskets... Thoughts??? I am entertaining the idea of running one of the sides as a Cheto Basket with a light.... hmmm

Chamber 1 - Filter Floss --> chemipure blue --> Seachem Phosguard ( I like his idea of keeping the stuff we need to change regularly in Chamber 1 (easier to get to the basket for me)
Chamber 2 - Either Carbon and or Purigan--> Seachem Matrix Bio Media 250ml --> MarienePure balls

Basket 1.jpg
Basket 2.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was time for an update. All is going well. I have started the Triton other methods in my little tank. I thought this would be good as I added some Stonies.

Coral II.jpg

Clowns I.jpg

Clowns II.jpg

Clowns III.jpg

Clowns IV.jpg

Clowns V.jpg

Clowns VI.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few Full Tank Shots.... I am trying an Orange Gel Filter on my Iphone 6+ but still the colors are a little off :( Anyone have ideas?

Tank I.jpg

Tank II.jpg

Tank III.jpg

Tank IIV.jpg

Tank V.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, doing some Research.... I turned my AI Prime to all Blue then used the Orange Gel Filter.... These are a little more like the colors I see

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back