Shine's Fluval SEA EVO

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I had a reef tank about 18 years ago, and kept that tank up and running for about 10 years. Since then, I have kept a lot of Planted Tanks, Fresh water Shrimp Tanks (Currently my favorite tank(s)), many many ponds with 30" koi and just about anything you could image.

I am starting a Small Nano Reef Tank :) I have been eyeing the Red Sea Setups, but decide to start a little smaller for my home office. I am a Laguna Pond Dealer, so this seemed like the best way to start back into reef tanks. The main reason I wanting to get back into reefs again.... the designer clown fish, and zoanthids.

I am still not sure if I will create more of a Frag Tank or a Natural looking reef tank. I am open to ideas

So here is the List of Goods Ordered. I am open to ideas and suggestions

From Fluval Direct
- FluvalSea EvoXII MarineAquarium Kit 12G
- Fluval Sea CP1 Circulation Pump
- Fluval Sea Mini Protein Skimmer
- Fluval Sea Iodine 8 oz (I head this helps with Zoanthids)
- Fluval Sea Hydrometer Medium
- Fluval Sea Total Clear 6.1oz
- Fluval Sea Epoxy Stick 4 oz

From http://shop.mediabaskets.com/
- Fluval Evo 12 - 13.5 CHAMBER TWO Install Media Basket
- inTank Universal Surface Skimmer
-Innovative Marine ReefRack 50 (not sure if I will create a more natural reef setting of a Frag setting yet)
- Value Pack - Poly Filter Floss
- Boyd Chemi Pure Blue Nano - 5 Pack
- Seachem Purigen 100mL in Bag
- Tunze Care Magnet Pico
- Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Aquarium Heater w/ LED Display 75 watt

Amazon.com
- Worldwide Imports AWW84130 Live Nutri Seawater, 4.4-Gallon x 3
- Tripp Lite 7 Outlet (6 Individually Controlled) Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord

Still to be Ordered from https://www.bulkreefsupply.com
- 2OZ AMMONIUM CHLORIDE FOR FISHLESS CYCLES - DR.TIM'S
- 2OZ ONE & ONLY LIVE NITRIFYING BACTERIA - DR.TIM'S
- 20 LB. FIJI PINK ARAG-ALIVE! REEF SAND - CARIBSEA
- PRIME FLEX ARM - 12 INCH - AQUA ILLUMINATION
- PRIME HD LED MODULE (BLACK) AQUA ILLUMINATION
- TURBELLE NANOSTREAM 6040 (53 - 1,190 GPH) - TUNZE
- CerMedia MarinePure 1.5-Inch Sphere Bio-Filter Media for Marine and Freshwater Aquariums, 2-Quart
- SYNCRA SILENT 0.5 PUMP (185 GPH) - SICCE for the main return

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd definitely go with a reef if you're planning to display it.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like it will turn out great just by the planning you have done so far! Good luck!

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All,

I think I am leaning towards the reef look. I have seen some very nice setups here at Reef2Reef.

I am also going to go ahead and get the Turbelle Nano Stream 6040. Just seems to be better to start off correctly.

I am trying to decided on the testing and monitoring equipment. I have used Seneye for my planted tanks in the past, but was not a huge fan of the interface and app.

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little more research and a little more money..... Ordered the Bulk Reef Supply items and added
- CerMedia MarinePure 1.5-Inch Sphere Bio-Filter Media for Marine and Freshwater Aquariums, 2-Quart

NewSaltWaterGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread, I plan on getting an EVO as well and ill follow your setup routine.

Def. go with a reef, they may be difficult but are extremely rewarding a while after its setup. Plus you get used to the work it comes with ;).

Hope your tank is successful, ill be here watching your updates! make sure to post plentiful amounts of pictures!

Thanks,
Nate

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, and Thank You for your thread. Your tanks was the deciding factor on my choice of going reef vs frag tank. Also your pain and experience lead me to starting with all the upgrade and mods

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, and Thank You for your thread. Your tanks was the deciding factor on my choice of going reef vs frag tank. Also your pain and experience lead me to starting with all the upgrade and mods
Well that's quite the compliment. ;Happy Hope to see your reef looking just as awesome soon. Yeah, you'll be miles ahead of the game starting with all the upgrades and you'll love that AI Prime! And I couldn't speak more highly of the Marine Pure spheres under the skimmer. Slow enough flow through them back there that they do a killer job with nitrates after they've been in a few months to build up that bacteria.

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3147.JPG Okay I am ready to start.... I am glad I got this all in one tank... I should be all set. Maybe I got a little carried away :)

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have added the water :)

I have the Red Sea starter kit and will start with that in the morning, after I get my Seneye all set up

I do need to get some good settings for my AI Prime -HD

A few pictures - I do have some of the rock too close to the glass.... I really like the layout, so I will have to see what I can do about that

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye, takes 48 hours for the slide to soak :(. I should get readings soon

Here are two pictures of the tank now that the dust has settled.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to take picture with an iPhone ?

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3873.PNG
I am 20 Days into the Red Sea starter cycle kit. So far I have the following clean up crew running
Qty Product Name Price Total
2 Scarlet Hermit Crab* $0.00
$3.00
$6.00
1 Emerald/Ruby Mithrax Crab* $0.00
$5.00
$5.00
2 Florida Cerith $0.00
$0.60
$1.20
2 Dwarf Cerith $0.00
$0.17
$0.34
3 Empty Hermit Shells $0.00
$0.08
$0.24
3 Nerite Snail $0.00
$0.75
$2.25
1 Nassarius Vibex $0.00
$0.50
$0.50
1 1 Penny Macro Algae $0.00
$0.01
$0.01
1 5 Red Mangroves $0.00
$6.00
$6.00

And this is my Seneye dashboard. I am going to add some Clow fish Friday. The Seneye shows the temp 2 degrees below what is actual for some reason

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have not ran my skimmer yet, I am thinking about pulling it out and adding a 2nd media basket?

Anyone have some AI Prime settings they want to share. Mainly Zoe's and soft corals are my goal

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I had a reef tank about 18 years ago, and kept that tank up and running for about 10 years. Since then, I have kept a lot of Planted Tanks, Fresh water Shrimp Tanks (Currently my favorite tank(s)), many many ponds with 30" koi and just about anything you could image.

I am starting a Small Nano Reef Tank :) I have been eyeing the Red Sea Setups, but decide to start a little smaller for my home office. I am a Laguna Pond Dealer, so this seemed like the best way to start back into reef tanks. The main reason I wanting to get back into reefs again.... the designer clown fish, and zoanthids.

I am still not sure if I will create more of a Frag Tank or a Natural looking reef tank. I am open to ideas

So here is the List of Goods Ordered. I am open to ideas and suggestions

From Fluval Direct
- FluvalSea EvoXII MarineAquarium Kit 12G
- Fluval Sea CP1 Circulation Pump
- Fluval Sea Mini Protein Skimmer
- Fluval Sea Iodine 8 oz (I head this helps with Zoanthids)
- Fluval Sea Hydrometer Medium
- Fluval Sea Total Clear 6.1oz
- Fluval Sea Epoxy Stick 4 oz

From http://shop.mediabaskets.com/
- Fluval Evo 12 - 13.5 CHAMBER TWO Install Media Basket
- inTank Universal Surface Skimmer
-Innovative Marine ReefRack 50 (not sure if I will create a more natural reef setting of a Frag setting yet)
- Value Pack - Poly Filter Floss
- Boyd Chemi Pure Blue Nano - 5 Pack
- Seachem Purigen 100mL in Bag
- Tunze Care Magnet Pico
- Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Aquarium Heater w/ LED Display 75 watt

Amazon.com
- Worldwide Imports AWW84130 Live Nutri Seawater, 4.4-Gallon x 3
- Tripp Lite 7 Outlet (6 Individually Controlled) Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord

Still to be Ordered from https://www.bulkreefsupply.com
- 2OZ AMMONIUM CHLORIDE FOR FISHLESS CYCLES - DR.TIM'S
- 2OZ ONE & ONLY LIVE NITRIFYING BACTERIA - DR.TIM'S
- 20 LB. FIJI PINK ARAG-ALIVE! REEF SAND - CARIBSEA
- PRIME FLEX ARM - 12 INCH - AQUA ILLUMINATION
- PRIME HD LED MODULE (BLACK) AQUA ILLUMINATION
- TURBELLE NANOSTREAM 6040 (53 - 1,190 GPH) - TUNZE

I wouldn't even bother with the Fluval skimmer. It's garbage and does nadda. If anything, I would suggest the glass nano skimmer from Marine Depot that uses a limestone air block, ala old school. But people have had good results with it, as opposed to no one having good results with the Fluval PS2 skimmer for the Evo. But in reality, you don't even need a skimmer on such a small tank. A 3 gallon water change will do more than any little skimmer would.

OP
OP
S

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, I was feeling the same about the skimmer..... I think I would get more out of another media basket with marine balls and filter pads.

Weekly 3 gallon Water Change is very doable

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'm running on my Evo. Light is ~8" off the surface. Basically a 5 hour ramp up, 4 hours at peak, and a 4 hour ramp down. Then I've got the lunar setting on with deep blues at 5% for 2 hours after that and then ramping to zero for an hour. My tank is a mix of softies, LPS, and SPS, and all of it has been thriving since installing that light. I actually just had to move a bunch of stuff out and to a bigger tank because it has grown so fast. IIRC I ran acclimation mode at a 50% reduction for a month when I upgraded from the stock light.

Here's my full schedule:
Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.55.51 PM.png

And here's my percentages at peak:
Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.53.15 PM.png

This schedule might be a little heavy hitting if you're only looking to stick with zoas and softies. You could probably cut these numbers way back and still get great growth out of those corals. My clean up crew keeps on top of the algae this schedule creates really well, but I've got a rather large crew (mainly it's my beast of an algae eater tuxedo urchin that keeps everything in check), so this high intensity for as long as I have it running might give you some algae trouble.

If you're on Facebook, there's a great group there for people with AI Primes and Hydras that has lots of schedules you can download and try out to see if there's one you like better. I like a whiter looking tank, but there's several there that lean a bit more blue if that's your thing. Here's the link: AI Prime Reef Group

Back