shipped clownfish cold

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an occellaris clown in the mail. Ordered last week, and arrived this morning. I never got the shipping/tracking email so no idea when it shipped, I'll go look after this. When I opened up the box he wasn't moving at all. The heatpack was cold and the bag was freezing. I started to float the bag, it's been around 35 minutes. He's started to move around more and is alive. He was just lying around on the bottom, moving a fin every now and then. I moved the bag a bit to see his response and he reacted by swimming/moving, but his movements seemed very odd. almost as if he's paralysed - is this the cold? It also seemed like he had some swim bladder issues and landed upside down.
What do I do?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your troubles,

I would try and get temp and salinity matched as soon as possible And transfer. Once you opened the bag the ammonia became toxic and no way to know how much is in there. It is possible he is have issues due to ammonia in the bag.

OP
OP
T

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your troubles,

I would try and get temp and salinity matched as soon as possible And transfer. Once you opened the bag the ammonia became toxic and no way to know how much is in there. It is possible he is have issues due to ammonia in the bag.
I haven't opened the bag yet, it's just floating sealed. How long should I give it?
Thank you for your reply.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't opened the bag yet, it's just floating sealed. How long should I give it?
Thank you for your reply.
Agreed, float until temp acclimated.. then can technically can drop right in (this is the method BIOTA actually recommends - assuming there is no plan to QT or observe first)

OP
OP
T

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, float until temp acclimated.. then can technically can drop right in (this is the method BIOTA actually recommends - assuming there is no plan to QT or observe firs
Sorry, clownfish has died.
Thanks for your help!
That sounds like a good method. Will use next time.

Back