Shipping bag leaked

TimHazekamp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 4 fish from an online vendor which arrived this morning, and unfortunately 2 of the 4 bags leaked. One was down to about 1/2 cup remaining, but the butterfly fish in in was only about 1 inch long, and seems to be doing okay in the quarantine tank so far. The other was down to less than 1/4 cup, with a 2 inch Flame Angelfish in it. I acted as fast as I could, got enough water in there for him to swim at least, and then acclimated to tank. Needless to say, he's not doing well right now - still alive but swimming partially on its side, sticking towards the top of water by where the HOB filter dumps circulating water on top of him. Very likely his gills got ammonia burn from the low amount of water. I'm going to be shocked if he is alive in the morning. Any ideas as to anything I can do to try to help him?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 4 fish from an online vendor which arrived this morning, and unfortunately 2 of the 4 bags leaked. One was down to about 1/2 cup remaining, but the butterfly fish in in was only about 1 inch long, and seems to be doing okay in the quarantine tank so far. The other was down to less than 1/4 cup, with a 2 inch Flame Angelfish in it. I acted as fast as I could, got enough water in there for him to swim at least, and then acclimated to tank. Needless to say, he's not doing well right now - still alive but swimming partially on its side, sticking towards the top of water by where the HOB filter dumps circulating water on top of him. Very likely his gills got ammonia burn from the low amount of water. I'm going to be shocked if he is alive in the morning. Any ideas as to anything I can do to try to help him?
That sucks. Put in a claim with the vendor. Not much you can do. Make sure the water has good aeration. Lower or shut off the lights to lower his stress and hope for the best.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen to my Prognathode, when it came in. was upside down in the bag nearly empty. perked up in acclimation and QT. I didn't do much, just fed heavy giving ample opportunity to eat, and allowed it to settle in and recover for a couple months in QT. Coming up on a year in November.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back