Shipping Cost

dell2go

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can people claim to ship 12 frags for just $55 using UPS/FedEx overnite? I shipped out 2 packs. One to Atlanta, Georgia cost was 110 UPS. And one to Texas for 130 UPS. I was new to shipping corals so I was just going with what people claim. So I ended up eating the difference.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use very little water in the bags to keep the weight down.

StevieT

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weight and if you become a regular shipper with UPS/FedEx your rates are much better. I imagine you went into a UPS store or FedEx which will **** you. UPS and I imagine FedEx also gives you intensive credits on your invoices baised on your sales volume. They can cut your shipping rates by 1/3 or even 1/2

OP
OP
D

dell2go

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I agree with weight so I quoted on a 7"x7"x7" styrofoam cooler with 5 bls. I think 5 bls is a lot less weight. I think the least weight would be 8-10 bls. But, it came out 80 on East coast.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shipped 12 frags to Savannah, GA a few weeks ago, next day priority by 10:30am and it was 46 dollars.

bamachamp92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I have any, this was my first shipping attempt and it went off without a hitch. I packed all 12 in the same box and it was 8 pounds and 46 dollars.

bamachamp92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me being in Chattanooga Tn. may have something to do with it. It went to memphis from chattanooga which is farther in the opposite direction than just going straight to Savannah.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all about the weight and destination of the package, they determine the cost. How I ship coral 12 frags would be 3 pounds. From Ohio to about any where in the USA it would cost about 60.00 or so.
How are you fitting 12 frags in a 7 X 7 X 7 box and the internal measurements are less due to the styrofoam.

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about the same thing... I wanted to ship FedEx, heck everyone claims to ship it for $50.... Went in there, They quoted me $109 next day, So I asked about the lower price. Basically said either VERY large accounts, ones that ship hundreds of packages a day, may come close to that price... OR the only other way is someone that works for FedEx, or a family member.... get something like 75% off....

The lowest with my own account was still around $90......

Are places like Kinkos cheaper or something? If so, that sucks, because were at least 2 hours from anyplace like that.....

The size of the box was 12" x 12" x 18" and 5 lbs...

USPS can ship it for $40

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Texas and California (certain areas) are the exception in shipping. For whatever reason they are more than double the cost to ship than anywhere else. Almost every other place I have shipped was in the $50-60 range (Fed-Ex). Many people just say $55 and eat the difference.
It is always best to get zip code and check which ever shipping co. you are using just make sure you have your box dimensions.

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the box was 12" x 12" x 18" and 5 lbs...

That is why your shipping is so expensive! They do not care how much it weighs, it all goes by dimensional weight. Which is the amount of weight they think that box can hold. I ship 12 frags in a 12x9x7 box and it is around 2.5lbs and costs about $50 to anywhere in the US, I only charge $45 and eat the difference.

Matt

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ups and fedex is more about the size of the box, usps is more about the weight then the size but size also becomes a factor when its large
depends on what youre shipping, a lot of softies can be shipped in VERY little water
when i mean little i mean a shot glass worth of water
im talking about small frags of zoanthids, for the shot glass not some huge toadstool
others like sps and lps ill use about 1 measuring cup of water
its just experience, ive never spent more then $70 for shipping and that was from va to ca so it was coast to coast

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good to see people realizing we don't make money shipping at a flat rate we get a deal because we ship allot but at best we break even on our shipping but we eat allot also.

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why your shipping is so expensive! They do not care how much it weighs, it all goes by dimensional weight. Which is the amount of weight they think that box can hold. I ship 12 frags in a 12x9x7 box and it is around 2.5lbs and costs about $50 to anywhere in the US, I only charge $45 and eat the difference.

Matt

I'm getting screwed then... I just typed in those dimensions, and it came up to $91.48.....

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I allways use the smallest box I can but make sure there is enough room it there for them to get there safe

OP
OP
D

dell2go

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how can people ship 12 frags with a weight of less than 5 bls. How can the SPS survive so much less water. Was it just a frag unmounted?

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric Borneman has been shiping SPS wraped in a good quality paper towel then diped in tank water so the towel is all wet then placed in plastic bags with far better results of survival rates than any other method of shiping.. Plus pollip extension is a lot faster after intro to tank. for quite a few years

JR,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back