Shipping Cost

Emmanuel32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What places are you guys using to ship corals. I feel like every place I use has 100-150 shipping for over night. How are people getting $50 shipping? Am I doing something wrong?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What places are you guys using to ship corals. I feel like every place I use has 100-150 shipping for over night. How are people getting $50 shipping? Am I doing something wrong?
Mainly retailers are getting commercial rates but try:
Shipon.com
Pirateship.com

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box size and weight are the main factors.

Most of my 7x7x7 boxes less than 2lbs will ship across US for $60.
I shipped a 3lb 7x8x9 box and it was over $100.

Also, use pirateship and youll get discounted rates.

Ups also usually has a 40%+ off code that works year round but pirate ship matches and sometimes beats that rate.

I only use UPS unless fedex is requested as its generally a bit cheaper and always more reliable.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
in addition to what others have said keep in mind that some vendors and many hobbyists eat part of the shipping costs.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in addition to what others have said keep in mind that some vendors and many hobbyists eat part of the shipping costs.
More like factoring it into the total price.
Basic marketing tactic.

"Free shipping on orders of $150 or more!"

On top of that some have lots of wiggle room on pricing when they grow their own coral from frags :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
Emmanuel32

Emmanuel32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you guys are all amazing! I did research and THANK God because I was didn't even understand how people maintain shipping how I was doing it.

OP
OP
Emmanuel32

Emmanuel32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vetteguy is correct, retailers will get a better rate due to volume mostly, but Shipnex or other third party shipping services are a way hobbyists can save a bit.
Please becasefull with Shipnex. I shipped two boxes and both got redirected mid transit. one going to CA and the other to IL and both went to NY and my accounts won't let me in. I think I got banned or something so maybe we are not allowed to ship corals.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to deal with trying to get a refund for overnight shipping delays from UPS using pirateship but since its a 3rd party discounted shipper, UPS doesnt include refunds with their discounted rates pirateship offers.

I didnt know this and they kindly issued a one time credit for three of my labels that Were delayed.

Still a highly recommended company I will continue to use in the future.

OP
OP
Emmanuel32

Emmanuel32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just had to deal with trying to get a refund for overnight shipping delays from UPS using pirateship but since its a 3rd party discounted shipper, UPS doesnt include refunds with their discounted rates pirateship offers.

I didnt know this and they kindly issued a one time credit for three of my labels that Were delayed.

Still a highly recommended company I will continue to use in the future.

They literally delayed a package I sent out and when I called to find out why they said their driver was late. Package must have been ddt’d because everything came in destroyed

keatonmjenkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used United States postal service and they have been pretty reliable for over night and usually costs between 30-50. You can also guarantee it by a certain time or you get money back.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They literally delayed a package I sent out and when I called to find out why they said their driver was late. Package must have been ddt’d because everything came in destroyed
Had that happen as well. With any carrier people can destroy boxes. I've seen my "fragile, perishable, live animal" boxes thrown onto my porch before

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used United States postal service and they have been pretty reliable for over night and usually costs between 30-50. You can also guarantee it by a certain time or you get money back.
Pirateship actually guarantees USPS overnight shipments so i might try that route next time though it can be substantially more money.

If its this easy to get a refund for delayed shipments or insurance claims by chatting for 5 minutes i might consider using USPS and pirateship still.
Screenshot_20230512_094008_Brave.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that happen as well. With any carrier people can destroy boxes. I've seen my "fragile, perishable, live animal" boxes thrown onto my porch before
Yeah surprisingly my fedex express guy is the most careful with the fragile/live packages.
He sets them down super gently.

UPS lady on the other hand.....
I think she could be a pro softball pitcher......:face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-spiral-eyes:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back