Shipping Issue During Trade

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently traded with someone and ran into a hiccup along the way and wanted to get others perspective.

The individual and I agreed on a trade, I paid for the shipping supplies and label and shipped the coral to him, the coral made it to him in good shape. The person then shipped the agreed coral, but on arrival, both mushrooms were dead ( they melted), I believe he used too many heat packs, there were 6 of the smaller ones, which would equate to 1.5 of the larger ones, these were rated for 18 hours . I contacted the individual and he agreed to ship new ones, but they would be smaller, which I didn't mind. The issue is who is responsible for the shipping. He said I need to cover the shipping cost, I offered to pay for half of the $45 shipping label, but he is asking for $50 (guessing label + supplies?). If the corals I sent him would of died, I would of covered the shipping and corals and reshipped, what do you guys think?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently traded with someone and ran into a hiccup along the way and wanted to get others perspective.

The individual and I agreed on a trade, I paid for the shipping supplies and label and shipped the coral to him, the coral made it to him in good shape. The person then shipped the agreed coral, but on arrival, both mushrooms were dead ( they melted), I believe he used too many heat packs, there were 6 of the smaller ones, which would equate to 1.5 of the larger ones, these were rated for 18 hours . I contacted the individual and he agreed to ship new ones, but they would be smaller, which I didn't mind. The issue is who is responsible for the shipping. He said I need to cover the shipping cost, I offered to pay for half of the $45 shipping label, but he is asking for $50 (guessing label + supplies?). If the corals I sent him would of died, I would of covered the shipping and corals and reshipped, what do you guys think?

I think there is no way you or the other person will ever be satisfied given trade originally did not go perfectly. Consider possibility next shipment arrives dead, too.

You don't know the other person's financial position. While you might have covered had it failed getting to them, perhaps to this other person it might mean less food on the table or no gas in the car. I just bought some stranger a tank of gasoline last week.

Our hobby is expensive, but not everyone is on the same footing. I applaud they are trying to make you whole.

Good luck to you both and happy holidays!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO splitting shipping seems fair, assuming this wasn’t discussed as to what happens before the trade was agreed on.

Although I would also like to point out that you are at their mercy. Since no money was exchanged (I assume) you probably have no recourse if they completely refuse to ship replacements.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back