Shipping Sps for the first time

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
2,394
Location
Batavia IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I've been shipping zoas for sometime without issue. I'm now going to be shipping a batch of sps to a trading partner. My question pertains to bags and cups.

I would like to use a 1 oz or 2 oz serving cup as a holder for the frag plug. Its my hope that this will limit breaking/rubbing of the coral tips. However, I am uncertain of the diameter of cups and which size bag I'll need. In the name of economy I'd like to keep the cup size and bag to a minimum.

Frag plugs are the standard Ocean Wonder type.
I currently use 3mil bags without issue.
I'm open to using specimen cups but would prefer not to in this case.
The frags are varying degrees of bushiness.

*Would 3x8 bags work with 2oz cups?

Idea #1
1oz cups with bags that are 3x8

Bags: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5376/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open/3-x-8-3-Mil-Industrial-Poly-Bags
Cups: https://www.amazon.com/Reditainer-P...UTF8&qid=1505922489&sr=8-2&keywords=1+oz+cups


Idea #2
2oz cups with bags that are 4x8

Bags: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3993/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open/4-x-8-3-Mil-Industrial-Poly-Bags
Cups: https://www.amazon.com/Reditainer-P...UTF8&qid=1505923235&sr=1-2&keywords=2+oz+cups
 
Should be fine with those bags but might be a little tight. I think mine measure 4x8. I use more water when shipping SPS as well, and I avoid air.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new