Shipping to Canada

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you guys shipping corals to Canada from here in the states?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried it twice and both times the coral got held in customs and died. I am sure this is not the case all of the time but I will not try it again..

BuyTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not legal to do so, but some companies do it. I would say it is not very eithical to do so. Both sides have very nice stores. I also point people in CAN to ReefRaft. They get amazing stuff.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unaware that is was not legal to ship coral into Canada. If I would have known I would have never tried.

BuyTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt mean it bad towards you at all. I know you are a great guy. I just mean when sites or companies say they will ship to canada even though they know its wrong is not good. Its also not worth it for us to try and ship as it doesnt make it and we can be fined etc

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, its far from worth taking the chance of fines or coral not making it. As you know people always ask if you will ship Priority mail or ground shipping. And I feel that I take take so much time and care of the coral that I have that its not worth the money to attempt them not living through the shipping process. Without me knowing that it was not legal I would have never tried again due to the coral not living.
You are correct, reef raft has great coral and so does many of the other vendors in Canada.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked there site and it no longer works. Actually it gives a warning when going to the site.
A while back I heard that they were doing bad business with there suppliers, maybe that took its toll?

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef raft is open....the post updates on aquariumpros.ca about every other week with the corals they get in...they get some of the craziest corals I have ever seen in. I think you need to sign up in order to see the posts in the sponser section though...and after living in both Canada and the US...I would have to say hands down Canada LFS gets much more cherry corals for the same price as regular LFS coral in the states. And as far as shipping to and from Canada...it just falls under CITES...if you get a permit you can ship anything...without a permit you can ship soft coral and zoanthids and mushrooms/ricordea...as they arent covered by CITES-that is as long as it is not on live rock, which is covered under CITES...someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong

BuyTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals are not listed on cities but they are still to be inspected by the country upon export and import.

ReefRaft is still in business. I have visted their store many times. I would consider Jensen a friend. People have given him a hard time in the past about a few issues. I prefer to judge people for myself. I have had great dealings with him.

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you arent doing anything illegal by shipping live corals that arent listed under CITES, therefore you can just write "Aquarium Supplies" on the shipping form and it shouldnt ever get held up...then on a sheet in the inside of the box you can write specifically what is in the box which will help it on its way faster if it gets pulled and checked.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back