Shoals ...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like shoals of small fish in my tank. Have tried to accomplish this with anthias, but I always seem to end up with a trio ...... not much of a shoal. Plus it gets expensive. Being a learning organism, and recognizing that doing the same thing over and over again in the hope of a different result is stupid, I decided to take a different approach. With my current 450, I have loads of space, so I decided to try the whole shoal thing with damsels instead - specifically the relatively less aggressive yellow tail. I now have 13 in my tank as shown in the photo (well, that's not all of them). If this proves a success, I shall get another 20 or so (maybe even go crazy and do azures).

IMG_0901.JPG

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, if I was you I would take all those damsels and put them in the sump, and get your black tang and gem tang in that DT! just a thought!

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo, following along. I've always wanted a schooling fish but they never really work out the way that you want. Hadn't really considered damsels before, but curious to see what your colony winds up like...

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, if I was you I would take all those damsels and put them in the sump, and get your black tang and gem tang in that DT! just a thought!

I fail to see how the two are mutually exclusive o_O. That the black and gem remain in the refugium is because my yellow and purple tangs are ba$tards. Gem could probably hold it's own but my black is a serious wimp.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsels arent quite to my taste, but Ive always wanted something similar. I'd love to do a tank with 20-30 bangaii cardinals and long spined urchins to replicate their typical environment... I hope it works out well. It would be quite the thing to see a couple dozen fish all moving together in a big tank like yours :D

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fail to see how the two are mutually exclusive o_O. That the black and gem remain in the refugium is because my yellow and purple tangs are ba$tards. Gem could probably hold it's own but my black is a serious wimp.
Lol I was just pulling your leg based on the thread from yesterday... Having a little fun. Although I do hope to acquire a gem by the end of this year!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fail to see how the two are mutually exclusive o_O. That my black and gem remain in the refugium is because my yellow and purple tangs are ba$tards.
Lol I was just pulling your leg based on the thread from yesterday... Having a little fun. Although I do hope to acquire a gem by the end of this year!

Oh, I think about it all the time ..... then I look at the yellow and purple tangs beating the crap out of each other and think ...... errrrr, maybe not LOL. My gem is still on the small side, maybe 2 1/2" so it needs to do some growing. Got him locally in a trade for many frags actually.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I think about it all the time ..... then I look at the yellow and purples tangs beating the crap out of each other an think ...... errrrr, maybe not. My gem is still on the small side, maybe 2 1/2" so it needs to do some growing.
The damsels arent quite to my taste, but Ive always wanted something similar. I'd love to do a tank with 20-30 bangaii cardinals and long spined urchins to replicate their typical environment... I hope it works out well. It would be quite the thing to see a couple dozen fish all moving together in a big tank like yours :D

I actually thought about doing bangaii, but every time I have tried a group two would pair off and the others would cower in the corner.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo, following along. I've always wanted a schooling fish but they never really work out the way that you want. Hadn't really considered damsels before, but curious to see what your colony winds up like...

Fish don't school in tanks anyhow ..... Not sure that most of the fish we keep even do in nature. When I went diving years ago in the South Pacific, and saw clouds of anthias, they didn't really school. More shoaling. It will be interesting to see if my baker's dozen coexist over the longer term or not.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are they doing? I always wanted a school of fish too. I think it helps a lot when you have huge SPS like yourself.

So far so good. It's hard to count that many small fish that are darting around all the time, but as near as I can tell all 13 are still there. I've been really pleased with how they've turned out, mostly hanging within the branches of the large green slimmer. Contrast of the blue and green is pretty cool. My QT tanks are in use currently, but once one frees up I am going to buy a bunch more.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So far so good. It's hard to count that many small fish that are darting around all the time, but as near as I can tell all 13 are still there. I've been really pleased with how they've turned out, mostly hanging within the branches of the large green slimmer. Contrast of the blue and green is pretty cool. My QT tanks are in use currently, but once one frees up I am going to buy a bunch more.

Awesome, I will be following along to see how it plays out

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, six weeks in and I'm about ready to call the 'experiment' a success. Hard to count a lot of small, rapidly moving fish but I got to 12 this morning; so maybe all 13 still in there. It's pretty cool and I'm definitely going to add a bunch more. Big fish always photo-bomb my pictures but you can see some of the damsels in the front panel reflection. I always get a bit of pink push to my pictures, thus pinks and reds are a bit more saturated than actual.

IMG_0955.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
good to hear. Once my SPS grows larger and I have colonies, I will probably try something like this.

I definitely think its help a lot having large SPS colonies like you have, especially like stated above the green slimer.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca1ore

Are you going to add more yellow tails, or another group of a different species?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to hear. Once my SPS grows larger and I have colonies, I will probably try something like this.

I definitely think its help a lot having large SPS colonies like you have, especially like stated above the green slimer.

Yes, I agree. Recently watched Blue Planet II, and in the reefs episode you see smaller fish spending most of their time amongst the coral branches. Green Slimer's got to be good for something LOL

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca1ore

Are you going to add more yellow tails, or another group of a different species?

It's surprisingly hard to find 20 of even the yellow tails; so I will likely just get what I can find. I'd like to go with azures, but we shall see.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I'll be watching as I will be trying the same thing down the road, best of luck.

Oh, and your tank is looking fantastic@

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back