Shoop's Reefer170

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cool do you have a cover on tank ,they are jumpers

OP
OP
ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I thought maybe it jumped out but there was no water splashes anywhere. Concrete floor so water hangs around for a few hours. I think I’ll order the Red Sea cover unless you have a better recommendation!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that is fine ,but meantime use screen,egg crate ,def a jumper!

OP
OP
ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to order the red sea screen kit. While i was at it, ordered the red sea filter cup which i will fill with floss only and then also picked up a hannah alk and salinty tester. Lets see if this user error on my testing is really user error lol. Everything arrives Saturday!

OP
OP
ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to one of the LFS I visit and picked up some shelf liferock to rescape a bit. Didn’t like how high the bottom was and the top had a peak that looked too designed. Wanted to have more of a natural look. While I was there they had a nice sized green hammer for only $40 so picked that up. Cleaned off what I have ID as sea lettuce. Not a bad thing but I didn’t invite it in. Hammer is being shy, didn’t like the bath it had to take before entering my tank. Also my ricordea did not like being moved around and decided to slime a bit. Better knock it off lol.
5FE1C28A-ED11-4CBE-B240-5AF7108AF526.jpeg
927DD8D1-5317-457E-AD3B-5B23D9291B1F.jpeg

OP
OP
ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea lid kit came today and put it together. If you aren’t handy and have the right tools, this thing would be a huge pain in the ****. Swapped out the stock filter sock for a filter cup with floss as well. Will be super easy to change out the floss weekly. Picked up a yellow watchman goby today as well, of course he decided to find a place you can’t see to make his den. Hopefully that changes otherwise there is $40 down the drain lol.
DD8E7CA3-28D9-4A46-8896-746F1046E69A.jpeg

OP
OP
ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a couple weeks and had two casualties. Firefish and yellow watchman goby. Water Parameters looked good so thinking it was my jerk clown fish bullying them. Been pretty adamant on cleaning the sand bed every time I do a water change and so far it’s still looking good. No huge algae issues or diatoms. Just normal cleaning of back black glass. Did notice today one aiptasia growing off a frag. Removed the frag and cut as much of the plug off as I could with a dremel. Hopefully that stops that.

One weird thing while testing parameters before today’s water change was that my Hannah alk tester read my water at 2.2 dkh. Super low from previous tests. Will be keeping an eye on that and will take another reading in the morning.

OP
OP
ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I went bigger all along. Listed the reefer 170 for sale and sold to a local guy. Purchased the reefer 350! Can’t wait for it to get here so I can swap everything over. Will also be putting together a water mixing station in the basement to make my wc that much easier.

OP
OP
ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closing this thread down and starting a new build thread for the Reefer 350. Fully up and running and looks great! No buyers remorse anymore!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back