Short-term, Void-filling Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 Gallon Black Rimless Aquarium Build

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading several threads on this forum and watching YouTube videos each day for the last 6 months prepping for my first reef tank. I will move in about 6 months, so I was planning to start my reef tank after getting settled in my new place. However, after 6 months of researching and needing to wait another 6 months, I wanted to get my hands dirty and decided to set up a cheap temporary tank to fill the void. My plan is to have fun for the next 6 months and learn along the way until I can pick up a larger tank.

So here's my plan:

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 Gallon Black Rimless Aquarium
Filter: Seachem Tidal Filter 55
Powerhead: Jebao OW-10
Substrate: None
Rock: BRS Reef Saver
Light: Hydra 26 HD or AI Prime HD
Fish: A pair of the smallest clownfish I can find
Corals: Likely just zoas, gsp, xenia​

I'm hoping I can share my experience as well as get some help along the way through this thread.

I'll start with a few questions:

1) I still need to pick up some rock. How many pounds of BRS Reef Saver rock do you recommend for a 15 x 12 x 13 aquarium? One pound per gallon seems to be the rule, but footprint also seems to dictate the amount of rock needed.

2) I have a new but opened AI Hydra 26 HD and two unopened AI Prime HDs. Using the AI Prime HD seems more appropriate for this small tank. However, I'd like to use the Hydra 26 HD since the box is already opened, and I can sell the unopened AI Prime HDs at a higher price later if I do not need them. Although the Hydra 26 HD is overkill, can I use it on this tank and just turn the intensity down? If not, I'll just open one AI Prime HD :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Nice tank. I say 0.75-1 lbs. rock is fine. Less is more in a 10 gallon.

It seems you could use the Hydra 26 and if it is too much, switch. I am new to LED though and have not used those.

EDIT: 0.75-1 lbs. rock per gallon

Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I’d use 5 pounds live and 5 pounds dry, since you’re cut short on time it would help jump start the cycle and establish the tank sooner.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman Was the 0.75 - 1.00 pound a typo? I don't know how 1 pound of rock looks like but that seems a bit on the low side?

@samnaz I was thinking dry rock and then using some of those cycling starters like Dr. Tim.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman Was the 0.75 - 1.00 pound a typo? I don't know how 1 pound of rock looks like but that seems a bit on the low side?

@samnaz I was thinking dry rock and then using some of those cycling starters like Dr. Tim.
he means .75 to 1 pound per gallon.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would suggest the 20 NUVO instead. A little more room for everything else including the rear sump. I currently have a NUVO 20 for about two months and already planning to go bigger. The only thing I don't like about this hobby is that, once that bug bites, its going to be fun. Lighting wise, I have two primes with AB+ settings and my corals are growing and splitting (LPS and SPS). With the corals that you mentioned, one prime should I think be enough. Save the hydra for your bigger tank. I know how you feel regarding filling in that void but, I highly suggest since you mentioned that you'll be moving to hold off till that move. I remembered my 40 gallon freshwater when i moved and it was crazy. If you do set one up and move, try to coordinate with a nearby LFS and have them hold on to it untill the tanks ready again (re-cycle). It would be less stressful for you and and your inhabitants. I hope you enjoy reefing as much as I have been so far.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAF00A74-0BC1-4136-BCB9-016797F27B23.jpeg
A ten is fine if you know that you’re going bigger. My nuvo 10 is awesome but I’m out of space so I’m getting ready to start up my jbj 28 again. I have a total mix of sps (acros), pls, and softies. My prime HD is more than enough. If my acros are happy it’s proof enough. If you’re not going to put acros or high light demanding lps just use the prime. That hydra is overkill

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would suggest the 20 NUVO instead. A little more room for everything else including the rear sump. I currently have a NUVO 20 for about two months and already planning to go bigger. The only thing I don't like about this hobby is that, once that bug bites, its going to be fun. Lighting wise, I have two primes with AB+ settings and my corals are growing and splitting (LPS and SPS). With the corals that you mentioned, one prime should I think be enough. Save the hydra for your bigger tank. I know how you feel regarding filling in that void but, I highly suggest since you mentioned that you'll be moving to hold off till that move. I remembered my 40 gallon freshwater when i moved and it was crazy. If you do set one up and move, try to coordinate with a nearby LFS and have them hold on to it untill the tanks ready again (re-cycle). It would be less stressful for you and and your inhabitants. I hope you enjoy reefing as much as I have been so far.
I'm planning to go bigger once I move. At the smallest (if there is a size limit), I'd probably go for a Nuvo 25 rather than the Nuvo 20. I just like the footprint better.

I'm hoping a 10 gallon will be a lot easier to move, but at worst case, I'll have someone hold onto the inhabitants or donate it. Since it's small, there probably won't be lost in value anyways.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAF00A74-0BC1-4136-BCB9-016797F27B23.jpeg
A ten is fine if you know that you’re going bigger. My nuvo 10 is awesome but I’m out of space so I’m getting ready to start up my jbj 28 again. I have a total mix of sps (acros), pls, and softies. My prime HD is more than enough. If my acros are happy it’s proof enough. If you’re not going to put acros or high light demanding lps just use the prime. That hydra is overkill
Unfortunately, there is no Prime. I bought the Prime off Drs Foster and Smith because it was on sale but they fumbled and told me they won't be sending it to me. It's really unprofessional in my opinion. If something is not available, why post it on the site and wait a week or so to tell you?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there is no Prime. I bought the Prime off Drs Foster and Smith because it was on sale but they fumbled and told me they won't be sending it to me. It's really unprofessional in my opinion. If something is not available, why post it on the site and wait a week or so to tell you?
I get my prime on amazon.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank arrived today!
unnamed.jpg

BUT

there is a crack on the bottom of the left side.

Here is a side shot.
IMG-1624.JPG

Another shot but tank rotated.
IMG-1622.JPG

At an angle.
IMG-1620.JPG

Is this a cause for concern?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was where you are at the beginning of the year. I feel for you and know you do not want it to be true. Yes. It is cause for concern. At the very least, you paid for a new aquarium and it should start out rock solid. There is no reason to take a chance on a flood from new equipment failure.

For me (with a different company) I received a damaged tank. The replacement tank came damaged as well. Third tank was the charm, but it all took some time. It sucks, but in the end, all you lose is time. Patience is what we strive for and this is a test. I wish you the best in this matter.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was where you are at the beginning of the year. I feel for you and know you do not want it to be true. Yes. It is cause for concern. At the very least, you paid for a new aquarium and it should start out rock solid. There is no reason to take a chance on a flood from new equipment failure.

For me (with a different company) I received a damaged tank. The replacement tank came damaged as well. Third tank was the charm, but it all took some time. It sucks, but in the end, all you lose is time. Patience is what we strive for and this is a test. I wish you the best in this matter.
Yea, I was like, "It's fine. It's only 10 gallons so the glass will probably hold up." On the other hand, I paid for the tank, and I feel I shouldn't even have to worry in the first place. I contacted the retailer, and I hope the retailer will give a reasonable resolution.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The retailer should make it good and the tank is certainly under warranty with IM.

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your question about rocks, I recommend getting a box of stax. I know they are a little pricey but they are totally worth it for the footprint you are dealing with. It would make your life so easy

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon, which has a little AIO back chamber, so it's a bit smaller. The display is maybe 6-7 gallons. I have 3 lbs of reef saver rock in there and I wouldn't put any more. In my 20 gallon tank I started with 1lb per gallon and there was literally nowhere for the fish to swim or to place corals.

I think the .75-1.0 lb per gallon starts to make sense at 40+ gallons, but in a smaller tank I think it's just too much.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your question about rocks, I recommend getting a box of stax. I know they are a little pricey but they are totally worth it for the footprint you are dealing with. It would make your life so easy
Those look sweet. I already put in an order for Reef Saver from BRS a couple of days ago when they had their sale though!

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look sweet. I already put in an order for Reef Saver from BRS a couple of days ago when they had their sale though!
They are, and they help with ph and calcium levels they are super easy to build with too. But you cant beat a sale

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back