Short-term, Void-filling Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 Gallon Black Rimless Aquarium Build

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I starting noticing my hammer and zoas not opening fully recently. It seems like my alk is dropping day by day. For a long time, the alk was around 9 and would fluctuate 0.1 dKH. Starting last Friday, I saw my first drop at 8.6 but I attributed the drop to the addition of a few LPS frags. Then on Monday my alk read 8.4 and today at 8.1.

Is this drop a result of the number of corals? Most of my frags are zoas and I have 2 mushrooms and a GSP. Other than that, I have a galaxea, a head of hammer, head of octospawn or frogspawn, head of what was told was a torch, a head of candy cane, and a piece of favia.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I starting noticing my hammer and zoas not opening fully recently. It seems like my alk is dropping day by day. For a long time, the alk was around 9 and would fluctuate 0.1 dKH. Starting last Friday, I saw my first drop at 8.6 but I attributed the drop to the addition of a few LPS frags. Then on Monday my alk read 8.4 and today at 8.1.

Is this drop a result of the number of corals? Most of my frags are zoas and I have 2 mushrooms and a GSP. Other than that, I have a galaxea, a head of hammer, head of octospawn or frogspawn, head of what was told was a torch, a head of candy cane, and a piece of favia.

Same thing happened to me over the past week or so. From 9 slowly to the low 8s. In my case it was obvious I was having a burst of coralline growth. Perhaps my newish frags were finally starting to grow as well. I definitely attributed it to growth.

It was something I was expecting. For me, I decided to add about 1/2 tsp. per gallon of Kalkwasser to my ATO. Funny thing is I was about to set up Kalkwasser, but am waiting on delivery of a doser (I had wanted to dose Kalk separately for boring reasons).

That stopped the Alkalinity drop and I now am considering if I want to raise levels with a 2 part solution.

EDIT: in my case, my drop was 0.1 dKH daily. I started Kalkwasser at 1/4 tsp. per gallon and then upped to 1/2 tsp. seeking the 0.1 dKH compensation.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back