Shortspine Urchin and Fromia Star Compatibility.

MrSalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Shortspine Urchins and Fromia stars ok in the same tank? I have a 55 gal. I've had the star and the urchin in the tank for about a week. Today I found the star on top of the urchin curled up not looking so good. I netted it and moved it to the sand and it's moving around currently crawling on up the glass. It now has some extra dangly bits hanging off one leg and out of the center. I'll attach a picture. Now I know the urchin didn't come after the starfish because he has been in the same spot all day, the starfish went to the urchin and ended on top of it. Will the starfish be ok? Is this going to be a constant problem? I searched and didn't find anything saying they couldn't be in the same tank.
PXL_20201018_222708959.jpg
PXL_20201018_223101362.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, that star can be somewhat difficult to keep. It's not nearly as hard as a Linckia Star, but still not easy like a serpent or brittle star.

I have an urchin and several serpent and brittle stars in my crowded 90g tank and I've never seen either of them bother the other at all.

Good luck.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve kept Fromia stars with various urchins, and i don’t know Fromia stars to predate on sea urchins, but perhaps only if the sea urchin was dying (which isn’t the case with yours). one week is still too early to say that both are fully settled in and thriving. (how old is the tank?)

any tears or skin abrasions on sea stars are definitely not good. chance of recovery is slim in my experience. i hope your star pulls through and settles in.

OP
OP
M

MrSalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, that star can be somewhat difficult to keep. It's not nearly as hard as a Linckia Star, but still not easy like a serpent or brittle star.

I did quite a bit of research before getting one and it seemed quite a few people had good luck with them. The Serpents get huge and I didn't really care for how they looked. Really I just wanted a normal looking, reef safe starfish. All the starfish types seem to be tricky. The only local ones were sand sifters and they did not seem like a good idea.

...(how old is the tank?)

any tears or skin abrasions on sea stars are definitely not good. chance of recovery is slim in my experience. i hope your star pulls through and settles in.

Tank is a little over 6 months old.

Sadly I don't think it's going to make it. It climbed to the top of the tank and them slowly slid down the glass over the past 24 hours. I just came home and it's just a pile of flesh on the sandbed. I think it was attempting to flip itself over as it was on its back, I gave it some assistance it has since straightened out it's legs. I'm considering rehoming the urchin and giving it another go with another Formia if this one doesn't make it. I really think the starfish was just exploring the tank and came into contact with the urchin. The urchin did not attack the starfish, the starfish just appeared to come into contact with the pointy side of the urchin.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did quite a bit of research before getting one and it seemed quite a few people had good luck with them. The Serpents get huge and I didn't really care for how they looked. Really I just wanted a normal looking, reef safe starfish. All the starfish types seem to be tricky. The only local ones were sand sifters and they did not seem like a good idea.

Ha! 'Normal looking, what's normal. Not knocking you. I completely understand what you meant. It just struck me funny.

I snorkel in the Florida Keys 3 to 5 trips a year. I'd say on average I see 20 to 30 serpent or brittle stars for every 1 "normal" star.

OP
OP
M

MrSalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! 'Normal looking, what's normal. Not knocking you. I completely understand what you meant. It just struck me funny.
"Normal" as in what the wife thinks a starfish should look like. She thought the Fromia was cool but I guarantee she wouldn't have thoughts if a put a serpent star in there. Yeah I have seen quite a few serpent stars in the Keys and around the Gulf. I didn't know what they were at the time but I do now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back