Should carbon be used when first setting up a reef tank?

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
i currently have a 6ft reef tank that is going to be transferred into a 48 x 24 x 18 inch reef tank. Plumbing and everything is done an water went in yesterday... i was wondering if i should start adding my Seachem Matrix Carbon now and Phosguard now and not when it has cycled completely??? thanks for any help :) :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's live rock , carbon yes. If you have high po4 with live or dry yes. If you have low or no po4 no gfo. If it's dry rock prob no carbon till you start feeding animals and poo and food start to rot.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to wait a few months and see how the tank does without it first. Testing is done during this time and if some of the new additions start to decline then I'll go ahead and add the media.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added both to my tank transfer from day one. Even without phosphate present, the Phosguard will also begin to remove silicates from the water column and will aid in shortening the inevitable diatom bloom. May as well nip the problem in the bud.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and yes it will be a mix of live (sand and rock)with dry (rock and rubble)... i will add some sponge filter from the 6ft to the new tank to speed up the proccess... thanks :)
If it's live rock , carbon yes. If you have high po4 with live or dry yes. If you have low or no po4 no gfo. If it's dry rock prob no carbon till you start feeding animals and poo and food start to rot.

I like to wait a few months and see how the tank does without it first. Testing is done during this time and if some of the new additions start to decline then I'll go ahead and add the media.

I added both to my tank transfer from day one. Even without phosphate present, the Phosguard will also begin to remove silicates from the water column and will aid in shortening the inevitable diatom bloom. May as well nip the problem in the bud.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back