Should I add a third Tang?

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5ft 125G tank. Currently have a Yellow and a Tomini Bristletooth; plus other tamer fish (clowns, banggais, etc.)

The Yellow went in first, and a couple months later the Tomini. For the first 3-4 days the Yellow was pretty territorial. Now they pretty much get along fine.

I like the look of a Convict Tang, but I've read they are pretty docile, have a shorter spur, and won't do well as a newbie.

Any suggestions on a third Tang?

In the past we've have a Yellow-Eye Kole Tang which we liked.

Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I think it would be personal preference for you. Do you have an algae issue or just looking for another tang? I am on board with the convict. I think it is a good choice. I would try to get one the same size as the yellow or a bit bigger if possible. I am not a big fan of the Kole, but again preference. Or, a white tale to go with the flame would be cool.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I think it would be personal preference for you. Do you have an algae issue or just looking for another tang? I am on board with the convict. I think it is a good choice. I would try to get one the same size as the yellow or a bit bigger if possible. I am not a big fan of the Kole, but again preference. Or, a white tale to go with the flame would be cool.

No algae issue *knock on wood*. Just looking for a "bigger" fish -- something that swims around more, etc.

I'm also looking into the smaller angelfish that people suggested, fox-face, etc. But I keep coming back to the Tangs.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool,

There is alway smaller angels like flame or coral beauty. Just watch for reef safe with caution with them.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convicts are kool tangs I like the black and white patterning but they are a bit timid, I would be concerned about adding one to two established tangs. Could be attempted with an aclimation box and a robust specimen.

One thing to consider is the convict often has a more muddied grey appearance than the great black and white. Some alternatives to consider with a bit better black and white colors imho, multi bar angels are gorgeous but require some extra care. Also worth considering are the roaops butterflies burgess and tinkers.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back